E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HxC Floppy Emulator and/or Kryoflux: How To?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 09:34:08 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  HxC Floppy Emulator and/or Kryoflux: How To?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HxC Floppy Emulator and/or Kryoflux: How To?  (Read 9375 times)
ditabeardmemo

« on: January 08, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »

Hi everyone:

I - like many people on this board, I assume - am very interested in installing either the HxC Floppy Emulator or Kryoflux connectivity in my Emulator II+ HD. Unfortunately, I'm not a technician or a computer expert, so I'm still unclear as to what options these devices actually provide, which device is best for my workflow and what parts are needed to install one of these in my machine.

Would it be possible for someone (esynthesist? multiple users?) to put together a definitive how-to guide for the HxC and/or the KryoFlux, just as people did for the CompactFlash card installation in the Emulator III? Those instructions were very helpful for users like me who, while technically adept, are by no means experts.

Also, if I understand correctly, the HxC device can hold floppy disk images (including boot software) that the Emulator II will recognize. What I don't understand is how to transfer those images to the HxC device, such as the Sound Designer .EII files from the OMI library. Can someone clarify?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB, Emulator III Rack 8 MB, Emax II Turbo Rack 8MB, Emax SE HD Plus Rack, Drumulator; Ensoniq ESQm, SQ-80; Waldorf Microwave Rev. A; Oberheim Xpander; Sequential Circuits Pro One; LinnDrum; Kawai R-100; Moog Voyager RME; Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909
who

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »

You may have seen the post I created here:

http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=957.0

I did some research into the parts needed for a clean 5.25 install.  One user on the yahoo list has already done it and posted pictures.  Check it out:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/emulatorII-list/
who

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »

Something else to keep in mind:  write to SD cards from the emulator itself.  E-Synthesist posted this to the Yahoo group:

"Update:

The SAVE BANK & COPY SOFTWARE support (i.e. "write" support) can be expected
very soon now in the SD HxC floppy drive replacement kit.

I have just been beta-testing the new firmware that Jeff from the HxC2001 team
is finalizing at this moment, and with the latest build I was able to save banks
to the SD card on both of my Emulator-II's.

FYI: this new firmware also supports write-activity on the Emulator-I. Those
tests were successful too !

So... keep an eye on http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/ to see when
the new firmware will be released.

///E-Synthesist"
midipuppies

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:14:01 PM »

Anything new on this? Anyone installed one and made it look pretty?
I would really like to see the final result and steps needed.

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
Futureman

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:48:27 PM »

yes me.

It's not 100% finished physically, but it's looking damn good so far.

I approve of this message.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:28:30 AM »

I also am a bit clueless so please excuse me.

I have purchased this unit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180617542150#ht_6494wt_936

Would I be right in saying I follow the manual and replace one drive with this unit and attach the wires in the right place as the pictures do on the yahoo site and thats about it?

Read the manual on how the unit works etc, fit the unit so it looks snug and nice in place of the floppy dive and er.... thats it?

Is it that ...easy?

Any help greatly appreciated
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:34:50 PM »

Is it that ...easy?

Yes it is:
- remove one of the floppy drives (*0)
- attach its ribbon connector to the SD HxC (*1)
- attach its power connector to the SD HxC (*2)
Ready.

But... in practice:
- (*0) depending on the drive you have removed (1 or 2), you have to set the J3 jumper of the SD HxC accordingly
- (*1) you have to find/build a cable adapter for connecting the ribbon cable. The SD HxC needs a 34 pin 3.5 connector, while the original connector of the EII is a 34 pin 5.25 connector. If you solve the problem by using a new standard floppy drive ribbon cable (which often has both types of connectors for at least 2 drives), you will have to set the J3 jumper of the SD HxC correctly if you use the "twisted" side because standard EII cables are untwisted. Also, most of the time, these standard cables are too short for use in an EII... So this could  become a challenge...
- (*2) to connect the power cable, you need an adapter cable too (5.25 power --> 3.5 power). Fortunately these are widely available in local computer stores and on the internet
- build a case for it so that it fits nicely in the 5.25 space (--> quite a lot of work, quite a challenge...)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:36:34 PM by esynthesist » Logged

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 05:13:41 AM »

Thanks so much esynthesist that clears everything up.   Smiley

Any other London/UK based people here with any tips on where to locate a good case/floppy adaptor?

This site is the fantastic

I wonder if anyone was the lucky person that got the E2HD+ on ebay for £550!
patchfinder

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 08:48:46 AM »

Howdy.   Thanks to this thread I managed to get my single drive EII to work with an HxC device.   If anyone needs a hand putting it together I'd be happy to help (based in London).  One thing I haven't figured out is how to set the jumpers on the floppy drive to slave to the HxC.  Think this might require a really long and weird ribbon cable. 

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »

that looks
FANTASTIC!

Gongratulations!
kdk

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 12:04:46 PM »

Patchfinder - that looks fantastic! Can you post some photos of the insides - like how you mounted the HxC to the back panel?

It looks great!
Kirk
patchfinder

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 02:13:40 PM »

The insides are not pretty. 

-Solder some leads to the switch mounts on the bottom of the HxC board
-Screw the HxC board onto a CD case with a thick sheet of latex (or anything soft and not conductive) in between
-Superglue some L-brackets to the EII chassis such that the SD card comes out in the right place
-Mount the CD case to the L-brackets using machine screws or tape
-Solder some leads to the switches and mount them in the faceplate somehow.  You can get original emu switches from digikey http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=uk&KeyWords=EG1321-ND
-Mount the LCD in the faceplate and attach it to the HxC board with a standard ribbon cable and a female-to-male gender -changer. Don't use a twisted floppy ribbon cable for this.
-Crimp together the switch leads and enjoy

You will also need a really long floppy cable (like 1 metre) to reach the HxC.  And a 3.5/5.25 floppy power cable per ESynthesist's instructions. 

I have to say the EMXP software is what makes this worthwhile, especially in that it converts any WAV file to an EII floppy image, so good. 

kdk

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »

Thanks! That's great.

I've been trying to find an extender for the SD card slot and not had any luck. Mounting the HxC on the back so you have access to the card and then jumpering the display to the front is a great solution.

Kirk
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HxC Floppy Emulator and/or Kryoflux: How To?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines