E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Differences between original Emax and SE / SE Plus models

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:24:37 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax General Discussion
| | |-+  Differences between original Emax and SE / SE Plus models
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Differences between original Emax and SE / SE Plus models  (Read 3870 times)
ruthven

« on: January 12, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »

I'm wondering what the differences are between the standard Emax and the "SE"/"SE Plus" models?  I know that the "SE" models were "synthesis enhanced", but I'm wondering what extra synth functionality these models provide (my understanding is that the standard Emax is in itself basically a synthesizer that uses samples)?

Do the SE models have analog filters like the original models?

Also, is the rackmount SE exactly the same as the keyboard version or are there subtle differences?  Thanks.
ditabeardmemo

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »

Here is a breakdown:

The original Emax is only a sampler, not a synthesizer. It has analog filters. The Emax keyboard and the Emax rack are exactly the same.

The Emax SE was a software upgrade, not a hardware upgrade. It gave the unit additive synthesis capabilities so you could create sounds from scratch, although you cannot play sounds in real time as you tweak (they need to render). The process is pretty tedious, to be blunt. The filters are analog and both keyboard and rack versions are identical.

The Emax SE Plus was another software upgrade that allowed the user to select an external SCSI ID to connect an external hard drive for storage. Generally speaking, though, very few Emax units have an external 25-pin SCSI connection. And some early Emax units effectively cannot be upgraded to accept SCSI, rendering the "Plus" operating system moot. Again, all the filters are analog, and keyboard/rack versions are identical.

All versions of the Emax II have digital filters, however.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:26:04 AM by ditabeardmemo » Logged

E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB, Emulator III Rack 8 MB, Emax II Turbo Rack 8MB, Emax SE HD Plus Rack, Drumulator; Ensoniq ESQm, SQ-80; Waldorf Microwave Rev. A; Oberheim Xpander; Sequential Circuits Pro One; LinnDrum; Kawai R-100; Moog Voyager RME; Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909
ruthven

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:47:19 AM »

Thanks--that pretty much answers all my questions.   Smiley
jacodavis

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:06:05 AM »

An easy table with the crucial differences.:

ModelSynthScsi
EmaxNoNo
Emax SEYesNo
Emax HDNoInternal
Emax SE HDYesInternal
Emax PlusYesInternal & External
Emax Plus HDYesInternal & External

And remember.:
  • All non-synth versions could unlock the synth/SE features with a special one time floppy disc.
  • The models that is not born with some kind of Scsi, is only Scsi-upgradeable if it has a rev.2 or rev.3 motherboard.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Differences between original Emax and SE / SE Plus models

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines