E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMU II & Mac stuff for new user.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:29:10 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  EMU II & Mac stuff for new user.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EMU II & Mac stuff for new user.  (Read 6679 times)
JMP

« on: September 30, 2008, 12:48:20 PM »

Hello, new member here following my purchase of an EMU II a few months ago (fulfilling the dream of an 80's teenager at long last).

Have spent a few quid getting mine fixed up including new PSU, LCD backlight, output jack and still waiting to get new contact buttons, although after reading the info in 'EII technical' may try cleaning them this weekend to see if that works instead... ! Great info there, thanks.

Anyway, mine works (albeit with tempermental triggering buttons) and have loaded/saved to 5.25 floppies etc. (got a library of about 80 disks if anyone wants to trade sounds Wink) but I'm curious about the use of a Mac and Sound Designer, so a few questions if anyone could help....

I've read some other info here and understand a Mac SE is usable, what other models/else is needed and how easy are these to find? Presumably Ebay is the only real avenue for these? What about software, I understand SD is free somewhere and the cable to connect? Can these be sourced or do you have to make one? Sorry if I missed the info in here somewhere....     

Thanks in advance.

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 04:29:46 AM »

Hi!

This is the official yahoo group for EII users. In the database section, you can find a mac compatibility listing.
(A Mac SE, System 6.7 works perfectly though..)

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/emulatorII-list/

For a mac cable as well as other "software you might need.." you may contact the emulator archive:

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Samplers/E2Overview/e2overview.html

Attention:
Make sure you have an EII with a 'Rev.1' Digital board (the right one), otherwise you'll have problems to communicate with a mac (unless you modify your digital board).
JMP

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »

Thanks, I'd been there but missed the database section, doh !

I'm presuming the Revision number is printed on the PCB so will look for it when next open up. Cheers.

JMP

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:32:41 AM »

Been inside today, the digital board states Artwork (?) Rev 1. Serial No. 1330 so presuming all OK there.

I'm sorting the cable and software etc. but now just looking for a Mac to hook up. Preferably a laptop as I have limited space. Has anyone successfully used Sound Designer etc with ANY OTHER Mac laptops than the Powerbook 165C & 180c listed on the yahoo group database? Do modern mac laptops not work with this software? Old ones not having a CD drive may be a pain.... 

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 12:56:47 PM »

Old ones not having a CD drive may be a pain.... 

It's not that hard. I've got a Mac SE without CD, and I use Zip Disks. That's cool, as an EII bank is just 500 KB.

Congrats on having rev.1 !
JMP

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »

Old ones not having a CD drive may be a pain.... 

It's not that hard. I've got a Mac SE without CD, and I use Zip Disks. That's cool, as an EII bank is just 500 KB.

Congrats on having rev.1 !

Thanks. How does your zip drive connect to the Mac ? 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 01:00:25 PM by JMP » Logged

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 05:05:02 PM »

SCSI
PX-7
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 01:01:03 AM »

will a Mac G4 work?  or too new? 
JMP

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 01:17:11 AM »

No, too new. You need one of the following:

Mac Classic
IIci
IIfx
IIsi
LCIII
Performa 575 or 5200
Powermac 7100 or 7500
Powerbook 165c or 180c
Quadra 800, 840 or 950
Mac SE

* Details taken from Yahoo Group EII Users Mac compatibility list.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMU II & Mac stuff for new user.

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines