E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - drumulator gone POP!!!....... ..

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:23:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Drumulator Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  drumulator gone POP!!!....... ..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: drumulator gone POP!!!....... ..  (Read 4359 times)
dprogram

« on: January 22, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »

had just decided to make some audio love to my baby after spending too long boxed up in the loft, had a little play a couple of hours before to decide best course of action worked fine for 15 mins or so, plugged her in again to amp her up again 15 20 mins all fine, dug out some effects carried her carefully downstairs, plugged in to record, got some amazing phased drums in on the go in 2 mins, adjusted the levels of a few drums... and POP!, checked the main fuse and i can hear power in the machine but somethings gone cos there's no lights and no sound, any ideas?
couldnt see any internal fuses
just trying to get the service manual but having trouble downloading it.

dont know if its a contributing factor but i had the unit on the carpeted floor at the time but it really was just 2 mins....help.
thanks.
dan
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:53:17 PM by dprogram » Logged
Futureman

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »

From memory, there is a fuse inside.

What do you mean you can 'hear power'.. ie an Audible hum from the power transformer?

If the fuse is fine, then obviously your problem is going to be more complex..

I'd start with checking the power supply rails.. ie +15v, -15v , +5v (Not sure if it has any + & - 12v's)
If you don't know what I mean by the above, leave it alone before you hurt or kill yourself.

When you get the schems/service manual, and if you know what I'm talking about.. post a screen grab of the power supply section schematic.

Regards
Mike

I approve of this message.
dprogram

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 03:20:09 AM »

hi mike thanks,  still having a bit of a mare downloading manual, hopefully it'll be just the fuse, i'm semi competent electronically so no worries there, just looking to buy a scope now,

yes there is an audible hum from d-unit
Futureman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 04:35:35 AM »

you may not need a scope.. just a multimeter.

If it's not powering up at all, you need to measure the different rails.

If one is not working, their could be multiple reasons.

Also, a bunch of Tantalum capacitors inside the drumulator (Also in the PS circuit). these fail with time.. going short circuit, and taking out a bunch of crap when they do..  [I've repaired about 10 of my old synths due to tantalums going short]

(My emulator I had one in the sampling section go short circuit, then catch on fire!)

Luckily, they are often easy to test if they have failed in the circuit without removing them. measure resistance across them.. if it's anything low.. (Less than 100ohms) then replace.. (Typically, when I've found them fail, they go to close to dead short... 4 ohms. etc)

Regards

Mike

I approve of this message.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:02:32 AM »

Look at the rectifier diodes first.

After then, look at all the decouplig capacitors, one have may gone short.

Check the voltages !
dprogram

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 03:34:09 PM »

weirdly, i just opened her up to test a few things, turned on the power and noticed the lights were on....... seems to be working now, haven't tested for sound yet or had it on for any length of time..........

worked fine for 10mins or so, hopefully get a decent session this weekend, anyone any ideas on what might cause a temporary fault? i was wondering if theres a heat related safety cut off like a bi metallic strip or something,
also whats the little black diamond shaped doofer on the base cover please
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:33:37 AM by dprogram » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - drumulator gone POP!!!....... ..

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines