E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - So, has anyone got a known-good E1 disk image for use with HxC SD emulator yet?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:37:11 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EI Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  So, has anyone got a known-good E1 disk image for use with HxC SD emulator yet?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: So, has anyone got a known-good E1 disk image for use with HxC SD emulator yet?  (Read 4749 times)
simonth

« on: February 13, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »

I've got an Emu 1. I've had it for a good few years now. It didn't work
when I got it (for free, which is just as well I suppose) and I've always
suspected it was the floppy drive that's the main problem. I've got a few
boxes of disks for it - and I've even got a 2nd drive and other things
such as ROM images (for burning new ROMs etc) if needed.

Now that it seems to be possible to get an Emulator I running from the
SD board, I'd love to have a known-working disk image to load onto a
SD card (I've just bought the SD board itself) so I can remove the floppy
drive (and disks) from the equation when I next try to get the machine
working.

(see: http://www9.pair.com/simonth/mm/galleries/emu1/emu1internals.jpg)

Has anyone got one yet? Doesn't matter what sounds are on it, if any,
just that it's known to boot a working E1 (the copy-protection thing is
solved now, yes?, so it's not tied to a specific machine?)

Thanks in advance if anyone could help, I'd love an excuse to open the
old beast up again and try and get it going.

Simon.
Futureman

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:53:02 PM »

I'm planning on doing the same to my EI.. so yea.. I'd also love a few disk images.
I think I'll eventually buy a Kryoflux and take images of all the EI library I have.

It would be amazing if we could get a comprehensive E1 library online.

If you suspect your floppy drive is at fault, why don't you plug in the other one you have and see if it works.

(Just make sure the jumpers are set the same as the current drive)

What happens when you turn it on? Does the drive spin? etc..

I approve of this message.
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:39:55 PM »

Since I have have been doing the original tests for the SD HxC on the Emulator-I I have for sure disk images that work  Wink
To get you started (for testing purposes) I can certainly send you one of these files.
But as Futureman is also suggesting, why did you not try the other drive first ??

In my case, I used my "floppy drive enabled EI" as a reference to make sure the EI beast is actually working when I had problems with the SD HxC. I mean: If the SD HxC will not work immediately after you'll have installed it, it's always nice to know that the problem is either caused by the HxC setup itself or by another problem in the EI... Knowing that your EI is working fine (except perhaps for the floppy drive) is important before installing the SD HxC.

///E-Synthesist

esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »

(the copy-protection thing is solved now, yes?, so it's not tied to a specific machine?)

The copy protection should not be an issue, especially not with normal bootable sound bank disks.
They must be write-enabled though the first time you use a 'foreign' disk on your Emulator-I.
Your EI will want to replace the key on the disk; if it can't do that, it will refuse the disk.
Now... the SD HxC Rev C with the newest firmware allows writing and in fact defaults to write-enabled disk images when you put files on the SD card, so you shouldn't expect any problem.

The key on the disk image can also be replaced upfront on a PC - a rather easy thing to do in fact - but you need a binary/hex editor for this. Not very user-friendly, but maybe I'll make it more user-friendly once I add Emulator-I support to EMXP. 

simonth

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »

I did try the 2nd drive briefly, but at that time I only had a couple of very old disks and I couldn't be sure what was working and what wasn't. The drive did spin up and try and read, but it didn't do much more than that.

At that point the machine went into storage (well under the stairs) and hasn't really seen the light of day since.

Since then though I did manage to get some more E1 library disks - it just needs me to make an effort now and see what is actually working and what's not. The SD emulator & image is going to help somewhat!
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 02:48:24 PM »

OK.
Good luck !
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - So, has anyone got a known-good E1 disk image for use with HxC SD emulator yet?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines