E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Custom EPROMS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:20:00 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Drumulator General Discussion
| | |-+  Custom EPROMS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Custom EPROMS  (Read 22434 times)
Megalosaurus

« on: October 08, 2008, 11:09:50 PM »

Over the past couple of months my buddy and I wanted to change some of the sounds on our Drumulators. We looked into burning our own EPROMS, but it seemed like too much of a hassle. Luckily we came across http://www.djdab.com/dabframes/MOD.htm and thought "Cool, this guy'll save us the trouble!".

Wrong! The guy wont respond to any emails, and neither will he answer his phone. My buddy came across the guy's myspace page, messaged him about it, and the jerk never responded back. He just read the damn message and never responded. Such a dick move. Why wont he just take down his stupid page, rather than get people's hopes up? Honestly.

Anyways, through some more searching I found this guy's website http://71.18.227.106/drumulator.shtml. He offers custom made drum sounds from different drum machine samples. Theres the Roland TR808 and TR909, the Linn 9000, Sequential Drumtrax...

yadda, yadda.

So far we just ordered a custom Pro Kit crash, since the ride on the Drumulator is limiting. Seriously, it sounds sooo much better now, and hopefully we'll order more in the future when I get some more dough.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 02:42:59 AM »

Yeah, COOOL!

Do you know if there are any SP-12 EPROM Modders out there?
Megalosaurus

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »

I really don't know.
Wish I could afford one though.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 06:02:05 AM »

I really don't know.
Wish I could afford one though.

?
The 12's not THAT expensive.
bedouin

Drumulator Master

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »

12s are less expensive than 1200s.  I've seen SP12s go for reasonable prices ($600-700).  On the other hand, I've seen 1200s go for $1700. 

Megalosaurus

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:35:57 AM »

Ha, I got my Drumulator for $100, and that was still a hefty price tag.
I'm a starving student, what can I say.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 04:27:08 AM »

I still recall those times...  Smiley    Only had an Emax back then, still got it.
kb

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »

Hi all.

Thanks for starting a Drumulator forum!

I'm on dxarmy, Linn yahoo group, and I have a pile of Ob DX'es.  So drum machines are a bit of a hobby:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/g6EfM7cdBbk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/g6EfM7cdBbk&rel=1</a>

In fact, I just fixed up a Drumulator that had a squeak at the end of the bass drum playback, plus the claps and the cowbell would go out intermittently.  I traced it back to a bad TL084 quad op amp used in the Chebyshev filters for those sounds.  Replaced the chip, fired it back up, and worked great.  I sold it on ebay last weekend.

Right now, I have a different dead Drumulator.  It was a parts unit, but now I want to bring it back to life, then start modding it.  It seems that there just haven't been a lot of hardware mods other than the EEPROM change/expansions...there has to be more fun inside!

As I progress, I'll try to post details.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »

Hi buddy!
Cool.
bedouin

Drumulator Master

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:31:58 AM »

kb,

You mentioned you have a number of DXs.  Would you happen to have some DX eproms flashed with the DMX sounds?  I'd like to swap out all of the DX sounds for the DMX sounds in my DX.

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 05:46:07 AM »

Hey KB!

that linndrum modification is the bomb!!!
kb

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 07:36:03 AM »

bedouin:  I haven't made eproms with the DMX sounds but I think it'd be easy to do if you have an eprom burner.  If you go to Paul White's Electrongate website, he has all the binaries for all the stock DMX sounds, and then some.  You would just download those binary files, burn them directly onto your eproms, then put them in the DX.

one caveat:  those DMX sounds tend to be short, and _might_ be expecting the type of filtering that you find on the DMX cards.  I doubt that'd be an issue, though, since the DX is essentially 6 mostly-configured DMX channels placed on a single PCB.

I just bought a needs-work DMX on ebay which should be here next week.  it'd be my first DMX so I'll be learning how different they might really be.

Elmbeatz:  thanks for the compliment.  I think the LinnDrum is still my favorite of all the eprom drum machines (especially now with the tuning).  It's also one of the least modifiable, but the stock design is comprehensive and elegant.

wow, I took this off-topic, I think...I may start in on that dead Drumulator this weekend.
jbfairlight

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 04:06:51 AM »

Hi I made MEGA EPROM kit for drumulator  Wink

choosing among four banks with a maximum of 48 sounds...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Custom EPROMS

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines