E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - update !!! emu 2 fixed ( emu emulator 2 help not booting up )

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:55:05 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  update !!! emu 2 fixed ( emu emulator 2 help not booting up )
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: update !!! emu 2 fixed ( emu emulator 2 help not booting up )  (Read 5266 times)
bunman

« on: March 29, 2011, 10:14:24 PM »

Hi can anyone give me any technical info as  my  e 2 is not booting up any more  .  It was working fine  booting up playing a output then i sampled something and then the input s and outputs started playing up . So i opened it up tryed to see if any loose connections  put back together now it wont boot. So first it was a input output problem now its that and a booting up problem any help would be appreciated  as tech guys in my area dont know about this vintage gear
jon
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:25:56 AM by bunman » Logged
JMP

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »

Jon, think you need to help other people to help you by giving more detail....

Booting from hard drive or floppy disk? 
Any sounds from the floppy drive?
Using the same disk, tried another one?
Any messages in the display?

bunman

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:17:08 AM »

Ok sorry about the vague  description    . In fine detail  both disk drives are the original  ones and were working perfectly   i have the os on 5  1/4 disk   both drives were booting the os   with no problems  wit this os  disk  i have . So   i started out  sampling my own sounds off  lp vinyl  into emulator 2  and playing them back   . Ok then one day  what happened is  i went to sample some sounds  and nothing was inputing into the line input  and i was nt getting anything on the meter  i would press sample and it would play back a heap of hiss and static.  Its nothing to do with my system as i would sample into my sp 1200 and mpc 3000 the same sounds  and that would work. Now all  l did was open the emu up to see if any loose connections  and i could nt see any  .  So i put the cover back on  and tryed to boot up again too see what happens  and none of the drives worked  so i cant boot the os up anymore  .Now i m suspicious it might be a wire or something else as i dont believe 2 drives that were working perfectly  both dont work there not making a sound  and the light on one of them lights up but the other one does nt  its the strangest thing happened to me with gear . So all in all i started out with a input out put prob now its a disk prob and output and input prob  . So JMP if you got any ideas what ya might think  or its happened to you or someone ya know let me know please
bunman

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 02:22:40 AM »

this e 2 has no hard drive  only booted it from disk drive    and the message it asks is insert disk even though i have  inserted os   and i know something wrong as bottom drive has no light anymore and makes no sound as it did before   i m baffled     
JMP

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »

Does sound like you've dislodged a cable or something... A mistake I once made is connecting the two wires from the lid PCB's to the wrong connections at the rear of the EII output board. They sit side by side and look identical. If you removed these, make sure they're connected to the right places.

I trust you've already checked your floppy drive ribbon cable connections... both floppy drives could also be affected by a voltage pot adjustment on the PSU but I'm presuming you didn't touch that.    

bunman

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 03:21:27 AM »

(both floppy drives could also be affected by a voltage pot adjustment on the PSU but I'm presuming you didn't touch that. )    Dont know may be  ? where is that  pot  situated    the only thing i did do was check the internal fuse  near the out puts and its not blown   could i have bumped anything around  there   that would cause the problem  all ribbon cables seem connected but i ll double check again
  i ll get back to you  after i rediagnose with your info and see what happens
JMP

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »

Don't touch the pots on the PSU unless you think you already have (intentionally or accidentally) as you'll likely make it worse.... If you haven't disconnected or changed anything when you first opened it up, taking to a tech may be the only way to go...

bunman

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 04:01:31 PM »

yes  i know  thats what i  wanted to do 

but problem is 
 i dont know if anyone got knowledge of these old samplers  in Melbourne Australia  that i can trust with it  in case they damage it more

i know it was working fine so it cant be that bad i hope

also what do you think about the inputs and outputs problem  is that a hard fix  or  something simple to fix   
bunman

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 04:03:45 PM »

to anyone in Melbourne   that reads this thread
if you  know any techs that are good at fixing ol emulator s  let me know
JMP

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:12:30 AM »

to anyone in Melbourne   that reads this thread
if you  know any techs that are good at fixing ol emulator s  let me know

Just look for any vintage synth/equipment repairer. Australia is a big place, must be one somewhere, just be prepared to ship or transport it yourself.... If the PSU hasn't been overhauled previously, it's probably overdue and 'may' be your issue. Just a bit wierd it's coincided with opening it up... 

Can't help you on the outputs I'm afraid, maybe someone else can offer you a suggestion...

Mender

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:06:35 AM »

Hi,
Almost all Emulator II's suffer from an unreliable cable connection at the power supply.  You may notice a discoloring at the plastic cable header at the yellow wires(+5v).  The resulting oxidation at the points of contact inhibit the current necessary to boot from the floppy drives.  E-mu used to have a multiwipe harness to replace the original harness.  Since these are no longer around, the solution is to cut away the offending cable and pc board headers(at least both 5volt connections) and solder the wires directly to the power supply pc board.  While the board is out, you can also resolder any other cracked connections, especially at the AC input connector.
bunman

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »

thanx for your tech support   guys

hey mender i m gonna try it out    it sounds like your on the money    it must have to be that as both the drives were working flawlessly  i opened it and then they were nt   

hey man any idea on input and output problem  ?

My problem arose when i started sampling something and the input went haywire and nothing was inputing  and then the output  did nt sound    could it be psu  causing that too or is it another problem that plagues these samplers  ??

got a e 3  sp1200   sp 12  emu 4 platinum   very reliable  the e 2 driving me crazy  is that usual  or is it just my one 
bunman

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 05:21:58 AM »

to evryone that   helped   thanx    Cheesy

update  for anyone that comes across this problem  anytime soon   

it was the  power supply  suprisingly affecting  inputs   outputs  and  in the end  also stopping it  booting up     

it  had dry solder joints   the local synth repairer  fixed  this easily  quite an easy fix 
    after all that stressing   evrything running nicely  now  Grin

onto getting sd working with it now
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - update !!! emu 2 fixed ( emu emulator 2 help not booting up )

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines