E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII+ burned out capacitor? Please help?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:13:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EII+ burned out capacitor? Please help?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EII+ burned out capacitor? Please help?  (Read 2137 times)
EIIBD

« on: April 15, 2011, 10:14:44 AM »

Dear EII+ authorities,

My EII+ with two, 5 and 1/4" floppy drives (making this anEII+), will power up, but will not boot up a good (containing content) inserted floppy disc.  After power up, the floppy drive lights would alternately flash, but nothing would happen.  Since both drives are the same model number, I switched them and tried again, just to see if there was a glitch.  This time, after power up, all lights on the front panel were flashing and what I believe to be,  "the small round yellow capacitor"on the lower left corner of the left (green), circuit board, started smoking, so I turned power off.  I think this might be a capacitor, not sure. 

I reversed the floppy drives back to original position, but the same thing happened and now the capacitor is burned, but the circuit board still looks OK, hopefully because I powered down so fast.

Could the Power Supply be sending too much voltage to the circuit board, thereby applying too much heat to this, the first in a series of 4, identical, yellow round capacitors (labeled 106 over +25K) ?

Is anyone aware of this problem?  Does anyone know where I can get another one of these capacitors labeled 106 (over) +25K on the yellow, round capacitor?  Should I check the power supply voltage output to make sure this is not causing the problem?

I live in Nashville.  Is there a tech around here who could repair the unit?

Sorry for many questions, I just want to get my baby repaired, since I am the original owner since 1985

Thanks, so much,
BD
Zomnius

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »

hi did you receive an answer yet? I like to know more as well, for i have the same issue.
Zomnius

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »

ok i found lots of replacement here in holland for the 100uf, 200v types. also radial version (yes!) i included the links.

MY SEARCH & SHOPPINGLIST SOFAR:

i will replace C101 OLD looking -  100, 200V -   = Duch company
i will replace C102 OLD looking  - 100, 200V

i will replace C105 OLD looking - 100,200V
i will replace C106 OLD looking - 100,200V

i am going to replace this with higher voltage capacator : C121 - 2.2, 16V    :   2.2uf 50V Elco Radial (?)
i am going to replace this with higher voltage capacator : C124 - 2.2, 25V   :    

i still have to look for the following as wel as the invertors.

C123 PREC -
C126 PREC  -

T102  looks BURNT -

C114 - 1000, 10V  
C130 - 1000, 10V
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII+ burned out capacitor? Please help?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines