E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - another EII paint job

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:33:12 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  another EII paint job
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: another EII paint job  (Read 7543 times)
Dimensional Space
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »

A simple heat gun will allow one to pull the original paint off quickly.  It was very laborious though and basically it sucked ass.  There is no turning back at this point.

So after about two weeks deciding what to do... I decided to take the plunge and have a professional finish the job.  I had a whole box of paint flakes as a reference and had the paint matched.  It was sanded all the way, primed, painted with textured Dupont paint, and then sealed.  It was done by an auto body shop in southern California.

I think it came out pretty nice.  $300 later!

My new labels should be done here in a couple weeks too.  On the upper PCB's I will be installing new switches, blue LCD, blue LED's, pots, and faders.  It should be tits when it's done.  Lots of work to do.

JMP

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:12:58 AM »

That paint job looks ace, will be good to see the finished result. Although, if you've taken such lengths to get the shell colour like the original and I presume the labels will be also, why install blue LED's?  You going to change the ones in the floppy drives too? 

Dimensional Space
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 03:11:28 AM »

Not sure what I am doing with the drives.  I don't know if I am going to do the 3.5" floppy drive mod, or the SD HxC,  or find some working floppy drives.  I think those two are shot.  They do not spin up.  Maybe it's the floppy drive controller or something else.

Yeah the blue looks pretty good in my opinion.  I had them put in my old EII+ with blue LCD.  I should have never sold that unit.  I regret that.  Oh well, all I can do is go forward at this point.

The new labels should be done next week.  They are printing test copies tomorrow.  They are 3M labels and will be laser cut.  The colors will be very vibrant and the unit should just "pop" visually.  I don't think it will look very vintage though.  More like if Emu decided to re-release the EII again kinda look.  

It will be months before it's done.  Worst case scenario is that I got this totally tits top cover with all new LED's, LCD, pots, switches, and sliders for another unit I'll end up picking up in the future.  I say this because the PSU has been recapped already and been to two techs.  So might as well rework the top cover till the next one falls into my lap. They always do.  

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:40:20 AM by Dimensional Space » Logged
ryansupak

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »

Looks fantastic. Will you be selling EII labels?

Thanks,
rs
Dimensional Space
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »

Possibly.  I want to see how they come out first.  The first run didn't come out so hot.  It wasn't the artwork that was bad, but the cut of the labels was off.  So this time I sent my old actual EII labels to them to work with, so there would be no misalignment this time.  All they had to work with before were scans that Elmer sent me.   I'll know more next week when they're done.   They won't have the clear window though.  It will be open like the SP-12/SP-1200.  Which I think will actually look cool considering that I am fitting an 84x44 white on blue CrystalFontz LCD in there.  Actually mine is already in there but it is green, and I need to change it again.

Dimensional Space
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:15:16 PM »

"That paint job looks ace, will be good to see the finished result. Although, if you've taken such lengths to get the shell colour like the original and I presume the labels will be also, why install blue LED's?  You going to change the ones in the floppy drives too? "

Yeah, on my second EII that I just snagged, I will keeping that one stock. Although, upgrading the LCD.  But I am starting to appreciate the bone stock look, minus the display.

AndyCrystal
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »

What is the color code used for this restoration job?
There seems to be no info around the web about the color used for the EII samplers. This would come in handy to retouch scuffs etc.
AndyCrystal
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 11:50:26 PM »

For now, trying to match the colors of various pictures, especially those taken outside in the sun I have come up with wth the following codes:  RAL 5014 - (7005 - 7011 - 7015) - these ones in parenthesis being very similar and corresponding to three different pics.

Also: for the labels, it would be nice to share the templates on the forum!
PatPend

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 07:48:18 AM »

Necropost alert!  Dimensional Space that paint job is awesome.  Do you have any more info on the exact paint formula and painting process used to get that original look?  I haven't found a body shop yet that will take this job.

A simple heat gun will allow one to pull the original paint off quickly.  It was very laborious though and basically it sucked ass.  There is no turning back at this point.

So after about two weeks deciding what to do... I decided to take the plunge and have a professional finish the job.  I had a whole box of paint flakes as a reference and had the paint matched.  It was sanded all the way, primed, painted with textured Dupont paint, and then sealed.  It was done by an auto body shop in southern California.

I think it came out pretty nice.  $300 later!

My new labels should be done here in a couple weeks too.  On the upper PCB's I will be installing new switches, blue LCD, blue LED's, pots, and faders.  It should be tits when it's done.  Lots of work to do.

Emulator II+HD, OMI CDS3, Prophet 5 rev. 3.3, OB-8, DX-7 E!, LAMM Memorymoog, Behringer Model D
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - another EII paint job

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines