E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax goes from LCD to VFD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:02:43 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emax goes from LCD to VFD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emax goes from LCD to VFD  (Read 6151 times)
roginator

« on: June 24, 2011, 03:07:39 PM »

had some free time today evening so i decided to do all work on my EMAX RACK HD!

- recapped PSU, voice board and CPU board
- replaced old LCD display with NEW VFD

VFD for emax is hard to find to be pin compatible so i did some hard core surgery on PCBS and used best one that fit in that tight space on PCB!!!

here it is ..... Like NEW!!!!!

ditabeardmemo

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:41:42 AM »

Damir, great work! Can you tell me more about what VFD you used and what modifications you had to make? My Emax Plus rack is with my tech right now and I would love to add this while he's working on it...

E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB, Emulator III Rack 8 MB, Emax II Turbo Rack 8MB, Emax SE HD Plus Rack, Drumulator; Ensoniq ESQm, SQ-80; Waldorf Microwave Rev. A; Oberheim Xpander; Sequential Circuits Pro One; LinnDrum; Kawai R-100; Moog Voyager RME; Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909
roginator

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »

OK ill give you part number but be ready to do some hard core pcb CUTTING!!!

its NORITAKE CU16025-UW6J

Smiley hope that will help!!!

you must make 3 new holes on PCB!!!

1. Second Screw hole to hold Display on PCB (use one already drilled on PCB!!!)
    to fix that damage you must bypass 2  traces

2. hole for Capacitor and hole for inductor on back of Display .... if you dont do that Display wont fit cause space is tight and you can break display glass!!

to fix that you need to bypass 5 traces!!!

also remove inverter from Motherboard PCB!!! no need for that one anymore!
Dimensional Space
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »

The reason why you're having to cut is because you're using the Noritake CU16025-UW6J
which measures 80x36.

The one you SHOULD have used was the CU16025-uw2j which is 84x44mm which is a drop
in replacement.    

I just don't get why people are cutting PCB's etc.   I mean if you gotta cut shit than it's just not
really worth the display in my opinion.   I mean they're cool, but not that cool to hack up stuff.

I see you on Gearslutz saying the same thing too with all kinds of hype.   That's not the right display.  

weaak

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:15:06 PM by Dimensional Space » Logged
NJCTkid

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »

Hhmmmm I'm Very interested. Can someone tell me the safer way of installing VFD for the Emax? My Emax really needs a replacement LCD.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax goes from LCD to VFD

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines