E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - I need help... Emax or Emax ll?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:50:39 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax General Discussion
| | |-+  I need help... Emax or Emax ll?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I need help... Emax or Emax ll?  (Read 3141 times)
seamonkey
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »

I've pretty much decided to get an Emu Emax or Emax ll but I would like some of your input into the sonic differences.
Of course no one can make up my mind for me but me, but I haven't had the opportunity to use both samplers.
On one hand I'm intrigued by the analog filters  on the Emax but the limited sampling time concerns me.
The Emax ll has more memory and the SCSI to allow external storage, samples in stereo and from all accounts still has wonderful sounding filters even tho they're digital.
I've studied information on both pretty deeply and I keep going back and forth on which to pick up.

So I would appreciate any input users of one/or both of these samplers could provide.
Not having both units here in my studio to do a sonic comparison makes it rather difficult.

Thanks everyone Smiley
Chevytraveller

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:07:49 AM »

Hi

I am in the lucky position of owning an Emax I and II, so I can give you a few pointers. There are a few differences in sound, but they are subtle. The Emax I has lovely SSM analogue filters, but they are unfortunately spoilt by the low bit depth of the controlling hardware which causes audible stepping when modulating them from a modwheel or some other MIDI source.
The Emax II filter is VERY close and despite being a digital filter, is lovely and warm sounding, but does not exhibit the same stepping that the Emax I has.
The Emax I has that 8-bit grit if you want that and can get closer to that EII sound.

For my money, the Emax II offers better value for money as it gives you more memory (plus options) and SCSI as standard. the sound is close enough, but you get more functionality and power. The Emax I has an undeniable character to it's sound (which is why I have one) but if I had to choose 1, then it would always be the Emax II.

hope this helps Grin

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, Logic X, U-He Diva, Camel Alchemy,
Hard: MPC1K, Emax I, Emax II, Emulator II, E-Synth, Waldorf Q, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-SK, AS Vostok, Oberheim TVS-1, Roland Promars,
seamonkey
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 06:47:51 AM »

Thanks Chevy for your valuable input. I decided on the Emax 1 because of this Smiley:
The Emax I has that 8-bit grit if you want that and can get closer to that EII sound.
I won one on ebay yesterday, a very rare Emu Emax l SE Plus(external SCSI)in fantastic condition.
This will never replace my Elll I had to sell, but any vintage Emu is fine with me.
Now it's time to get ready to sample, bang on things, makes noises and have a whole lotta fun. Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - I need help... Emax or Emax ll?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines