E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Anyone with an Emax HD/Plus look here please :-).

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:40:44 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Anyone with an Emax HD/Plus look here please :-).
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone with an Emax HD/Plus look here please :-).  (Read 4235 times)
12bit

« on: August 04, 2011, 07:25:46 AM »

Hey fellow Emaxers.

My Emax Plus has always been acting a little weird - and I am curious to know if it is supposed to or not.

When I power it up it is stuck with the display showing 'Emax Diagnostics' for about 15 - 30 seconds while the Analog Processing LED is on - then continues to load fine from floppy.

Is this normal behaviour ? If not does anyone know what to look for ?

See this video showing the issus:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y8DMpztPpzQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Y8DMpztPpzQ&rel=1</a>

Best;

Kenneth
12bit.com

E-mu Systems Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, Emulator IIIXP, SP12 Turbo, E-mu Systems SP1200 (gray face), Drumulator + Pad Controller, Emax, Emax II, E6400 and E6400 Ultra + a lot of other synths/samplers.
Chevytraveller

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »

Could well be another PSU issue.. the fact that it sits for a while does suggest it may be Caps coming up to charge.

First and easiest thing to test it is try disconnecting the HD and boot from floppy. this will lower the startup load on the PSU and if it boots normally then most likely points at a re-cap of the PSU as the fix.

Hope this helps

S.

Grin

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, Logic X, U-He Diva, Camel Alchemy,
Hard: MPC1K, Emax I, Emax II, Emulator II, E-Synth, Waldorf Q, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-SK, AS Vostok, Oberheim TVS-1, Roland Promars,
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »

Seems like normal behaviour to me...
Or mine is having problems too  Wink

My Emax SE did not do this until I upgraded it to SCSI (=Plus) with Ted Summer's upgrade kit; it's doing this even without any HD or ZIP/CF device connected to the PSU.
This change in behaviour of the Emax was part of the SCSI upgrade explanation on some website, so I was (and still am) not concerned.

I should double-check if my factory Emax Plus is also doing this, but I don't think so.

Is yours an upgraded one or a factory one ? (333 cpu board inside ?)
12bit

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »

Seems like normal behaviour to me...
Or mine is having problems too  Wink

My Emax SE did not do this until I upgraded it to SCSI (=Plus) with Ted Summer's upgrade kit; it's doing this even without any HD or ZIP/CF device connected to the PSU.
This change in behaviour of the Emax was part of the SCSI upgrade explanation on some website, so I was (and still am) not concerned.

I should double-check if my factory Emax Plus is also doing this, but I don't think so.

Is yours an upgraded one or a factory one ? (333 cpu board inside ?)

Well - The funny thing is that it has the 333 CPU board inside (with Rambird saying 'No more floppies' and everything) with connectors to both internal and external SCSI on-board and the original blue Emu Systems 25 pin SCSI port on the back.
The panel does NOT suggest that it is a HD model though as you can see - just a 'normal' SE model.

I guess I will leave it at this then.
If you have the same 'issue' I will not give it more thought anymore.

I saw the explanation you're referring too on Emulatorarchive as well - but I was not sure if it would do this after the initial boot up - but it does.

Thanks for the information - most helpful.

Kenneth
12bit.com

E-mu Systems Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, Emulator IIIXP, SP12 Turbo, E-mu Systems SP1200 (gray face), Drumulator + Pad Controller, Emax, Emax II, E6400 and E6400 Ultra + a lot of other synths/samplers.
12bit

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »

Could well be another PSU issue.. the fact that it sits for a while does suggest it may be Caps coming up to charge.

First and easiest thing to test it is try disconnecting the HD and boot from floppy. this will lower the startup load on the PSU and if it boots normally then most likely points at a re-cap of the PSU as the fix.

Hope this helps

S.

Grin

Thanks to you as well. I actually tried this but it did not change anything. The video was shot with no internal or external SCSI connected.
When I put in my other CPU board (different revision - not HD) the problem is gone. I would prefer using the HD board though :-)

Thanks !

Kenneth
12bit.com

garydjr

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »

It is a routine that is programmed by the IP355 eprom
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Anyone with an Emax HD/Plus look here please :-).

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines