E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - NEW Power Supply Success!!!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:02:30 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  NEW Power Supply Success!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NEW Power Supply Success!!!  (Read 3211 times)
80sboy

« on: August 05, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »

Just got home from a trip last night, and finally installed the power supply I bought a couple weeks ago....

Just fired it up and it works!

YES!!!!

I just re-wired according to the pin outs and took a deep breath, turned it on, and it's working!

Condor 130C - bought a NOS one off of Ebay. 20$ later and I have a new power supply in the EII!!!

thought I'd share... Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

80sboy

80sboy

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »

Spoke too soon....

I'm assuming the 15V part of this power supply is not linear. Everything powers up, disks load etc, but I'm not getting any sound out of it. Just a hum out of the main output. I do get the metronome click sound out of the met output, but I'm not sure if that uses the same circuits to produce sound?

thoughts?

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »

Holy zhit!

That sounds FANTASTIC!
Is the metronome sounding crispy and clearly?
80sboy

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »

OK - next  Embarrassedstep - learning as I go along....

I now know the difference between switching and universal power supplies, and why the audio portion of the EII power supply needs to be linear, and everything else is switched. So....

Even though it powers up now and all buttons, sliders, display and drives work the audio parts need a linear supply. So the plan is to use 2 power supplies

There is enough room to fit the Switching supply in there and to add a linear +-15V supply for just the analog parts. I just picked one up for 15$, so with the 20$ one I all ready bought, it's still reasonable.

I'm just really trying to avoid rebuilding the old supply Cry   But if this doesn't work then I will have no choice.

I have looked everywhere for a combo switching/linear supply and can not find anything....

forward....

Edit:

I picked up this

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/643/2146.pdf

for 30$, 3"x5" form factor  - 125W  5V gives 15amps, 12V gives 5amps

and this

http://avnetexpress.avnet.com/store/em/EMController/AC-to-DC-Power-Supply/Power-One/HBB15-1-5-AG/_/R-6474452/A-6474452/An-0?action=part&catalogId=500201&langId=-1&storeId=500201

for 15$ 5x7" form  +/-15V Linear Power supply

I'm going to install these and have a hybrid switching linear supply. There's enough room in there for them. I may install a small cooling fan with a rheostat to controll speed to suck the hot air out of the power supply area.

There is still one more of the 15V power supplies on ebay for 15$ NOS if anyone is interested in going down this road, they're about 80-90$ new.

Some new standoffs on the power board metal and we should be good to go! I'm away all next week, so it will have to wait until the following week, but i will definitely update, but feeling positive about the whole thing.

80sboy
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:18:43 PM by 80sboy » Logged
Zomnius

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »

hell i red the operating temp 0-55 degrees, is that enough? Will the fan help enough?

cheers Z
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - NEW Power Supply Success!!!

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines