E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIIIX compared to E4-series.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2017, 06:51:12 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Want to register? Then please don't use a Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail address. They'll block the activation email.
Still having problems activating your account? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII XP General Discussion
| | |-+  EIIIX compared to E4-series.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EIIIX compared to E4-series.  (Read 6783 times)
H24

« on: August 09, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »

Is there are any advantages of the EIIIX compared to the E4/EOS? the later models have improvements/more of everything but the 2:nd hand price is about the same. Difference in sound?

Thanks
//H
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:04:37 AM by H24 » Logged
12bit

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »

Well .. You're right on most of what you're writing yourself; more memory, more voices, more expansions/options.

I would ANYTIME go for a E4 series sampler over the EIIIX series of samplers. The sound is fantastic, and the filters nothing short of amazing.

Working with the old EIIIXP/XS display can be a little bit irritating compared to the graphic display of the E4's.

I say; get an E4 series sampler - probably the best 16 bit hardware sampler ever. (Yeah yeah I know the original EIII is a fantastic sampler as well - but the possibilities, filters and stability of the E4 are hard to beat :-).

KennethA
12bit.com

E-mu Systems Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, Emulator IIIXP, SP12 Turbo, E-mu Systems SP1200 (gray face), Drumulator + Pad Controller, Emax, Emax II, E6400 and E6400 Ultra + a lot of other synths/samplers.
thunder23

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »

Donīt forget the cult factor - EIIIX has a very clean and powerful output - Yes they cost the same as the E4 series, but they can do something very nice - you can use them to downgrade sounds to the old EIII , I havenīt seen this feature on the E4s...
blackelk001

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »

I actually sold my E4XT because I felt that the EIIIx had something more to it's sound. The E4XT sounded more generic to me.  The E4XT always felt like a cost reduction built machine.
Oleg

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 11:04:45 PM »

blackelk001: +100!
Even more: I would strongly recommend over E4 the EIV or the E64 ( the latter has same components, but less options), they were conceived earlier by "that" E-mu team and the sound is much more interesting (deeper, warmer, not sterile at all), I compared E4XT and the EIV side to side. EIV and E64 are real Emulators with a legacy, you can hear and feel it, and the E4XT is more like Akai - OK, but not mindblowing at all.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:12:12 PM by Oleg » Logged

E-mu EIII rack, Emax II turbo, E-synth Ultra, Kurzweil K2661S, Waldorf Microwave XT, Ensoniq Fizmo, SQ80, Yamaha EX5, DX7 II FD, TG500, Korg Trinity V3, Wavestation EX,  Roland JD800, VP9000, MV-8000, Clavia Nord Lead 3.
Let's have a Black Celebration !
roginator

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 07:17:49 AM »

for best performance and THAT sound … grab E4XT ultra and add old 8 output expansion option .. better sound than stock 8 outputs on ULTRA ! due different DACs
H24

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 04:00:33 AM »

One feature on the EIIIX is the classic AHDSR envelope structure from earlier Emus. They are gone on the E4. Instead they use AADDRR. But I guess they can achieve that hold effect in one way or another.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:32:25 AM by H24 » Logged
obsoletemachines

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 03:37:25 AM »

having spent some time comparing the E4XT ultra (4.7 OS) to the EIIIx, here are my thoughts:

- Eiiix Nicer filter, better resolution and distorts.
- top end on Eiiix smooth, glassy as opposed to brittle.  This does not show up on all sounds and is less obvious than the next point
- Bass end is rounded and pleasing.
- Most important, many EII, EIII, E-max presets do not translate on to E4 as they were intended. Firstly LFO is corded to pitch for some bizarre reason.  Secondly, filter/res settings are not right. I think the conversion is all wrong and this is surprising given e-mu did it. For example this does not happen with Akais when reading Emu disks.
- Both EIIIx and E4XT run really hot off balanced outputs, some of the hottest signal samplers around, ever.
- Lower signal noise, switching from power, on the EIIIx

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIIIX compared to E4-series.

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines