E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax II Memory Update

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:48:26 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax II General Discussion
| | |-+  Emax II Memory Update
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Emax II Memory Update  (Read 122176 times)
inyoro

« on: September 30, 2011, 02:36:44 PM »

Do you know if it is still possible to upgrade? I got this disc from AW auction but some songs require 8MB. I have only 4MB Emax II.
Or is there a way somehow to adjust those 8MB banks to 4MB?
Many thanks..!
vds242

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »

No way to upgrade the RAM!
The upgrades were special boards, with a special floppy disc, who "tells" the EMAX, ok now you have ...MB RAM. After that, the floppies destructed themself!
So, no one could use them anymore!
No joke!!!

IMHO it isnĀ“t so important to play these banks with an EMAXII.

Buy an ESI 32, 2000 or 4000. They can load EMAXII Banks.
And I think that these Samples from AW are real samples, without using the filter of the EMAXII.

So these samples will sounds very, very similar on an ESI, or an E4, e64 and so on...

just my 100 cents Grin

Christian

Hot sun, global fun, needed action, start to run!
inyoro

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 04:50:56 AM »

Ok, thanks a lot for the suggestion. One dummy question. If I get one of those ESI 2000, am i still going to need a midi keyboard or can I still use my Emax II? (yeah, it may sound a very stupid question but I am really not a pro in this thing).
seamonkey
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:18:42 AM »

You can use any keyboard with midi output to play something else with midi input, and yes that will include the ESI series of samplers. Smiley
The ESI-32 will play Emax ll programs but requires the OS upgrade EPROMs to play samples from the 2000-4000.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:21:01 AM by seamonkey » Logged
inyoro

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 05:46:01 AM »

Ok, many thanks. I will go for ESI 2000 I guess. There are couple of them on Ebay for some low values.
Freddy

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:37:41 AM »

Memory Upgrade is POSSIBLE! I just upgraded mine to 8 mb!

Check out this, he's selling the software: http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/E-mu-Keyboards-PARTS/E-mu-Emax/Emax-II-Adjust-Features-Code-p201.html

You just need this code, an expansion board and the necessary 44256-8 ICs
12bit

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »

So you don't need a new PAL ? Only the extra memory and the code ?

Kenneth.

E-mu Systems Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, Emulator IIIXP, SP12 Turbo, E-mu Systems SP1200 (gray face), Drumulator + Pad Controller, Emax, Emax II, E6400 and E6400 Ultra + a lot of other synths/samplers.
rtech

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »

12bit, I believe that you only need either the upgrade disk OR the code since you are already at 4MB. Of course you will need the RAM chips. You can read some info here on the upgrades that were available from Emu.

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/assets/PDF/Emax%20II%20Memory%20Expansion.pdf

rtech

FmK@77

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:27:57 AM »

@Freddy

I want to upgrade my 4mb Emu Emax II 2212 (it has a memoryboard 2mb). Can it be that the necessary 44256-8 is a "typo" en that it must be 44256-7? There are memorychips on my memoryboard marked with KM44C256CP-7. I am not sure which chips I need to order. Also do I need to add each time 2mb and ask for a code until I have 8mb total?

Does anybody know if the adjust features code is an equal value or is it variable? And is there a way to find out? There must be some schematics out there.

Many Thanks!
Frank
Freddy

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »

Hi,

it doesn't matter if it's 44256-7 /-8. (It refers to the speed).
You need 16 chips (<- wrong, sorry 32 if you have a 4mb model)  ... but I'm not completely sure if you need other stuff... write an e-mail to the info e-mail...

The code is variable. You get it here: http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/E-mu-Keyboards-PARTS/E-mu-Emax/Emax-II-Adjust-Features-Code-p201.html.

[0) Plug in ALL the chips. Is not necessary to 'work in steps'.]

1) Register
2) Buy
3) He, Mr Bruyn, will write you an e-mail sooner or later. Ask him, if you can ...
3) ...call him (WHY?: You have to enter a menu in your EMAXII [read the instruction on eprele... .com] and Mr Bruyn has the code generator on his MAC. This generator generates the only code which matches to the shown in the display. If you leave the menu and reenter it again the code has changed. I wouldn't expect of my EMAXII having it swiched on for 2 days.)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:47:22 AM by Freddy » Logged
FmK@77

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 03:28:18 AM »

@Freddy,

Thanks for your reply and good explantation on what to do. If I may ask where did you buy the km44... dram chip? In my country they don't sell them any more.

Again thanks,

Frank!
FmK@77

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »

I have had contact with mr. Bruyn and if you want to update the Emax II from 4 mb into 8mb you'll need 32 dram ic's.

Frank
vitosky

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 04:53:48 AM »

I have had contact with mr. Bruyn and if you want to update the Emax II from 4 mb into 8mb you'll need 32 dram ic's.

Frank

Ok Frank, but what type of dram ic's and where to buy these components to make the upgrade?

E-mu Emax II - E-mu EIV Ultra - E-mu Esi-32 - Roland Fantom - Yamaha Motif
FmK@77

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 07:23:20 AM »

Depends on which chips you have installed on the memoryboard. If it's the (Samsung 20 pins) Km44C256CP-?. The ? stands for or 6, 7 or 8 that is equal to or 60, 70 or 80 ns acces time. You'll need to find out yourself which manufacturer is applied. It's properly best to keep the same speed as is installed on your memoryboard. The only thing is the price tag...it will cost you a lot to update (I did some researching).

Greetings,
Frank
bax

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 02:32:18 PM »

Has anyone had experience with using faster RAM for their upgrade?  Logically, it should be able to run at a slower speed if it is actually "clocked" but I am unaware of the implementation and don't want to waste a lot of money to find out. 

Most pictures I've seen show the 70ns variant of the chips installed and the eprelectronics site states that he provides the 100ns chips in his upgrade kits and they are guaranteed to work.  I would assume from that difference that the timing requirements of the RAM are not necessarily extremely tight.  I found some KM44C256CP-6 (60ns) chips that I'd be more than happy to purchase and install but I am unsure if these will actually be too fast.

Has anyone tried this (upgrading with faster RAM)?  Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks!
bax
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax II Memory Update

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines