E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Z80 CPU Replacement

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:57:32 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Z80 CPU Replacement
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Z80 CPU Replacement  (Read 2978 times)
midipuppies

« on: November 22, 2011, 12:27:35 PM »

Does anyone know the specs for a replacement Z80 CPU chip?
I guess I need the MHZ that it clocks at.
Jay

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
Dimensional Space
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »

Jay,

I sent you a PM.   

James
ryansupak

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:52:01 PM »

You may have gotten this info already, but my understanding is that there are 4 "breeds" of the Z80. The difference is that they have different *maximum* clockspeeds:
Z80 - 2.5 MHz
Z80A - 4 MHz
Z80B - 6 MHz
Z80H - 8 MHz

There is nothing to prevent a "higher" Z80 from running at a slower speed, but running a slower one at a higher speed likely would not work (or shorten the chip's lifespan).

I ended up replacing my entire Z80 stack (it only cost a few bucks to do so.) Mine originally had (2) Z80A-CPU's in it but the corresponding CTCs (clock chips) were "original" Z80s. To me, this suggested that the system is probably running at 2.5MHz or less. So, to play it safe, I was sure to replace the Z80-CTCs with "original" Z80s as opposed to the "higher" ones. But it was OK to use "higher" Z80-CPUs since they can run slower if they want.

Honestly it probably wasn't necessary to be so choosy about the CTCs I used since I suspect that the clockspeed is set by the EPROM instructions, it's not inherent in the CTC. (It's just that the original maxes out at 2.5 MHz, the "A" at 4MHz, and so on.) But if somebody knows about that, one way or the other for sure, I'd like to know.

rs
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »

Maybe it can help you if you're a technician

* Z80_family.pdf (2345.57 KB - downloaded 276 times.)

2 hands with 10 fingers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Z80 CPU Replacement

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines