E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Ughh, how bad is this? (faulty front panel)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:10:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Ughh, how bad is this? (faulty front panel)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ughh, how bad is this? (faulty front panel)  (Read 3179 times)
who

« on: December 03, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »

I left my EIII on for a few days, returned to my studio and noticed the LCD was displaying two rows of solid rectangles.  Per info on this board, I opened the EIII to check the ribbon cable connecting the front panel to one of the pcbs mounted in the chassis and this is what I found:

Ughh, that doesn't look good, but I'm no tech.  The ribbon cable also shows signs of heat.  Does someone with more experience have suggestions?

Thanks,
who
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

can't help you out, but thank god your studio hasn't burned down...
midipuppies

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »

The ribbon cables become brittle over time and from being bent and twisted. That is a 50 pin cable and one or more strands has shorted either to each other or to the PCB. I had the same thing with Alan Wilder's EIII.
First thing to do is get rid of that awful factory press connector and replace it with a header style unit with pins. That trace that's fried should be an easy fix. Just don't use too much heat when soldering and scrape off the blue coating first at each end of the solder jumper job.

Hope that helps some.

Jay

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
who

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 05:08:30 PM »

That trace that's fried should be an easy fix.

Jay, you just made my evening.  Thank you!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 05:37:41 AM »

Most of the time, this is due to people who dismount the EIII and don't put back correctly the flat cable.

As a reminder, the flat cable goes from the front panne, passes THRU one of the holes of the rack mount with the cards and then goes to the card. Thioos means the cabkle is not pinched between the front panel circuit and the border of the rack mount when you put the top corec back in place.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Ughh, how bad is this? (faulty front panel)

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines