E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Eprom Source

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:37:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Eprom Source
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Eprom Source  (Read 9421 times)
midipuppies

« on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:03 AM »

Since nobody has any input on my EII downgrading issues, does anyone have a source for Eproms EXCEPT from route 66?
Thanks, Jay

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
rtech

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »

I have the ROM chip that is posted on the EII Yahoo forums, let me know if you are interested in them. I believe that is the latest NonHD version, but I am not completely sure. I tried do downgrade my EII+ HD to a non HD but i was not successful since i do not have the OS disk with the non HD version. When I tried booting with either HD-OS 2.6 and HD-OS 3.1, the EII would just freeze up on the boot screen(displaying the OS version ). The reason why i was trying to downgrade is to fix/trace my noisy sampling issue, and the SCSI board is blocking the access to some of the components on channel 1.

rtech

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:58:25 AM by rtech » Logged
seamonkey
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:56:37 AM »

I thought Route 66 recently went out of business.
sfbaytech

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »

Rtech,

One of the units that came in for repair was new with a different internal layout (power supply on the right with fan). My thought was that this change was to get ready for the HD version. Big thing I noticed was that it would only try and boot off one floppy, and when I looked found that it had a full 1MB of factory installed memory and a Main Eprom marked HD2.3. I tried a main 2.1 in there and it did not boot, and I figured this was related to the larger amount of memory. I then scanned the 2.3 eprom to a file and found it was different to the others I have. I uploaded ths eprom image just now to the Yahoo group in case you or someone else needs it.

midipuppies

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:56:45 PM »

sfbaytech, interesting feedback and I do appreciate, but I am the one asking the questions about this, not rtech.
So was the binary data different on the HD EPROM than the 2.1? Did you ever get it working? Do you think the scanner data also differs?
Thanks in advance.

rtech, I tried all of the different O.S. versions that I have which I think is all of them with no visible changes in the behavior of the machine.

Jay

sfbaytech

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »

Jay,

The scanner eproms were the same, but the 2.3 rom was different. I uploaded the image to the Yahoo group so you can download it and burn it if you have the capability. You would need to use a non-hd OS with it I guess.

Does your digital board have the full 1mb installed?
sfbaytech

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 06:49:23 PM »

File that I uploaded:

File : /Technical/EPROM Binaries/E2newerMain_HDMB2_3_MAIN.bin

Description : This was in a newer EII non-hd with a full 1MB of memory
installed. This unit failed to boot with Main 2.1, I'm guessing because the
memory was not initialzed correctly
rtech

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »

Thanks sfbaytech, I just downloaded the file and will try it out. I hope it works with the OS's that i have. Maybe you can give me a few tips on my issues with my EII+HD. I will post in the thread that I started way back about a year ago to see if you can provide me with some ideas on how to fix them.

Once again, thanks for the file.

--Edit--
Hey sfbaytech, I just tried the ROM you uploaded to the group and it worked. I am using EII+HD OS 3.1 boot disk and it worked.. The only problem with using the HD boot disk is that it freezes up if you accidently press Disk-->2 since its trying to access the Hard Drive. I think that if I had a standard EII+ OS boot disk this would not happen.  This will make my repairs alot easier.  

My EII is an EII+ HD. I think this file uploaded by sfbaytech came from a EII+, therefore if you want to downgrade an EII+HD to just a regular EII+ this ROM should work. The old ROM file on the yahoo site i think its a non + version, that is why it did not work when i tried it.
Thanks

rtech
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:09:30 AM by rtech » Logged
midipuppies

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 01:51:27 PM »

Awesome guys. Thanks so much for this break. I will try it in the next couple of days.
BTW, what type of EPROM programmer do you recommend for this sort of thing? Anything recent (USB)?

Thanks again, Jay

sfbaytech

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »

This is all good news! The unit I'm working on is marked Emulator II (not II+), but it is definitely a different and later lay-out than the other 2 here for repair. The only other difference I noted was that with the 2.3 rom the drive access lights do not alternate looking for a disk if you power it on with no diskettes installed, as the 2.1 rom does.

I have a number of old programmers for old eprom's, but have great success on gear like the EMU with this USB one which works and is simple to use: GQ-4X is the newest model of True USB Willem Universal Programmer series from MCUmall Electronics Inc Canada.

Chris
www.thisoldsynth.com
midipuppies

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »

Chris, this just gets better and better! For months I have made zero progress on this and now things are starting to move ahead.
I just ordered that programmer and a bunch of chips just to have on hand.
I was wondering- the PAL's on the EIII. Do you use a different unit for those?

Jay

sfbaytech

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 05:54:52 PM »

Jay,

I have not programmed any PALs, or any chips on the EIII so can't comment. If you look at the support site for the GQ-4X it lists the chip types by manufacturers part # that it can handle.
midipuppies

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 06:53:31 PM »

Yeah I noticed that they had a $400+ unit that did it all- PAL/GAL you name it.
I have a guy burning those EII chips for me tomorrow. I will be pretty pumped if that solves that issue.
Will let you know!

J

rtech

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 07:51:10 PM »

Hey sfbaytech can you or any one else send me a copy of the EII+ OS Disk. I can pay for the disk and shipping? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

rtech
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:51:22 AM by rtech » Logged
midipuppies

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »

I should be getting the EPROM today. If it works I can hook you up. I don't suppose you have a Kryoflux? That would be super easy.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Eprom Source

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines