E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - The Next Generation?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:32:46 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  The Next Generation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Next Generation?  (Read 15981 times)
Mr Mode

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »

Here's those screenshots

* EmulationII.jpg (381.9 KB, 520x515 - viewed 583 times.)

* drumulation.jpg (650.78 KB, 810x802 - viewed 579 times.)

* EmulationII Ad.jpg (225.93 KB, 284x480 - viewed 599 times.)
JMP

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »

Echo.

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 03:34:13 AM »

Earth to "MR MODE"
seamonkey
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 05:28:13 AM »

I've been reading their PDF info on this, and I still don't see any information stating it emulates the filters or anything else from the Emulator II.
Yes they used an Emulator II to create original samples for the patchlist, but if you are importing WAV files it appears to be just a sample playback vst using UVI technology.

Unless they create more patch's from the EII, the only way it will sound remotely close to a Emulator II will be if you import EII samples.

Is this a correct assumption or am I missing something?
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 06:19:53 AM »

I think its mostly for people who want some EII panel graphics on their daw with knobs n sliders n stuff..   Roll Eyes
JMP

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 08:29:22 AM »

Think you may be right. Use of the Emulator II association to give '80's/Emulator type sounds...?'. If the original sounds are from the EII it would have been good to have those (for our EII's) !  

Anyway, it appears I have a copy coming so will let you know what it's like in its own right.... if not as an EII comparison. I'm most curious about the stock sounds that come with it and if any represent EII library sounds.    
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:30:54 AM by JMP » Logged

seamonkey
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 09:11:11 AM »

Hey buddy, the PDF contains the entire patch list included with Emulation II.
http://cdn.waycom.net/media/universsons/uvisoundsource.com/demo/doc/Emulation_II_User_Guide.pdf

Hope you have fun with your copy when it arrives, but my immediate impression is the only thing similar is the blue and silver interface. Cheesy

but it would be interesting to hear how your samples sound converted to WAV files and loaded into this.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:21:48 AM by seamonkey » Logged
JMP

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »

John,  do you have an iLok dongle?   It doesn't look like it comes with one.   I just shot my load on a Native Maschine, but next month I will pick this up.  

They're supposed to be sending me one with it. If you hang fire, I'll try and give an informative opinion on it first for you.... I have loads of VST's and never use them. However, I do like things to be simple and straightforward so I'm being optimistic about this one.   

JMP

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »

Hey buddy, the PDF contains the entire patch list included with Emulation II.
http://cdn.waycom.net/media/universsons/uvisoundsource.com/demo/doc/Emulation_II_User_Guide.pdf

Ah right, cheers you. Well there's a few in there that I recognise namewise.... e.g. Marcato Strings, Midi Stack... Will have to see how they sound.   

would be interesting to hear how your samples sound converted to WAV files and loaded into this.

Yeah, will have to get familiar with UVI Workstation too for that I think (if it can be done). 

JMP

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »

OK, had a quick run through this tonight.... Firstly, I'm not endorsing it or UVI nor have I got/getting anything from them other than a free copy.  Wink   

First impressions.... it's not bad actually ! For now, I've simply run through all the presets and a tweak of the filter, envelopes and effects....

i) It's got some of the Emulator II library in there. I counted 20 I recognised instantly and there's probably quite a few others, particularly on the acoustic/orchestral side that I don't use much on the EII. Sample/conversion quality varies, some appear almost identical, others not so but many with decent variations of the original sound. Marcato Strings is there, Emu EII Grand Piano, Multi Synth, Bellolimbas, Hits, Choirs, the Mister E/Dreams Sound, Nature samples, Shakuhachi (briefly over two octaves) and several others although most have been renamed.         

ii) There's some D50 stuff in there as already realised and plenty of other 80's type sounds that appear created by UVI and are pretty decent.   

iii) The bit crusher effect is particularly good if you like that kind of thing. Think of Tron soundtrack and those crashing lo fi sounds/drums. There's a couple of BD and SD sets that are good (with the above effect within them) plus 80's sounding drums.

iv) Filter is OK but not gritty/muddy(?) like the EII can be IMO. This, the envelopes etc. as real time controls are nice to have, something that you're always going to have to program into the soundbanks on your EII.     

v) Nice simple interface (how I like them) and runs well on my ageing PC.

The downside:

i) It ain't a sampler. Doesn't appear to let you import your own sounds/samples although WAV's and others can be imported into the UVI workstation element.

ii) It's essentially a ROMPLER with tweaking controls, but for those looking for 80's type sounds without the original hardware, then it'll give you some of what you're looking for... probably.   

iii) For the price (had I paid for it), I would have expected the library of sounds to be larger tbh.

iv) ilok key licencing is fair bit of pissing about (and web setup isn't compatible with Firefox browser).   

v) There's a whole bunch of sounds they could have left out but maybe that's just me.

Demo to follow with some key 'EII' sounds and a bunch of my favourites from their soundset. When you hear them, think they will appeal to most here but up to you if worth the price.....  Smiley

JMP

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »

Here you go.... Some familiar riffs, simply for comparison purposes to the original EII sounds on my other demo's. All played directly from the product with it's own effects:  

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11381541

Low quality 128kps I'm afraid to fit onto soundclick.

Preset list:

Chordestral
ARP Tangerine Bells
Whisper Vox
PCM The Preset
Supersphere
Velogalaxy
Alice in Emuland
Female Choir
Thanx Patchwork
EII Grand Piano
Angelic Composite
Orchestra Bells
Pianoanalog
Seq Dream 80's
Church Bell Space
Romantic Cello Violin
Orchestra Hell.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:06:35 PM by JMP » Logged

seamonkey
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:01 AM »

Hi John, thanks for taking the time to do this comparison.
Well to my ears, the sound of the instruments are there but I didn't get the same vibe as when listening to the originals.
Regarding the 128kps fo rSoundclick, I assume since your original demos are uploaded to Soundclick we are dealing with 128kps for them also. So comparing them side by side should give an accurate audio comparison.

I can only think, for those who love the Emulator II but have neither the funds or the studio space, this can serve as an alternative.
Hopefully someone can explain the import of WAV files, and perhaps the company will be able to release more soundsets in the future, or even allow 3rd party soundsets from individuals such as yourself.

John I can't thank you enough for the many demos you've done showcasing this beautiful classic, the Emulator II.
You know how much GAS you've given me over the years, and how, thanks to you I finally made the plunge in October in purchasing the EII.
I love it, and sometimes will remove the dust cover to just absorb it's beauty while I'm here in my studio doing other things.
Thanks buddy. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:22:32 AM by seamonkey » Logged
JMP

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 01:44:48 PM »

Regarding the 128kps for Soundclick, I assume since your original demos are uploaded to Soundclick we are dealing with 128kps for them also. So comparing them side by side should give an accurate audio comparison.

Think there's a mixture of 128 and 192 kbps. Tbh, I messed up the Emulation II recording a bit as you can hear a bit of distortion in one or two. I never use VST's and got my audio settings a bit wrong....

Hopefully someone can explain the import of WAV files, and perhaps the company will be able to release more soundsets in the future, or even allow 3rd party soundsets from individuals such as yourself.

Cheers. In my dabblings so far, the WAV import is to the main UVI workstation with time stretching over the key range but no envelope control. Lack of release etc. is a bit annoying.... I may still be missing something though.   

You know how much GAS you've given me over the years, and how, thanks to you I finally made the plunge in October in purchasing the EII.

Knew you'd get one eventually, Wink You're welcome for the GAS !

I love it, and sometimes will remove the dust cover to just absorb it's beauty while I'm here in my studio doing other things.

So I'm not the only wierdo who does that then !  Grin

seamonkey
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »

do you think the crackling was from your latency buffer setting? They will do that if it's too low, at least for me.
Honestly I didn't notice, after a couple of minutes I bailed out and listened to your demo again.

As for the WAV files, there has to be a way of loading patches, or the original library is it for $199USD?

Yeah, the GAS, my wife thanks you too! Cheesy

Regarding VST's, I would think one like Omnisphere in your hands would be lethal. I may just have to try sampling some of the raw waveforms into the Emulator and see what happens.
JMP

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »

I don't know, you're probably right. My sound card and PC power isn't exactly market leading....

You can load WAV files into the UVI workstation but I haven't looked into it properly yet to see if there is any control over them other than time stretching. Watch this space... The package includes Drumulation too, again something I need to look at properly when have the time.

Omnisphere... never delved. Yep, get sampling and let me know the results ! Wink

BTW, here's the preset list from the demo (in order):

Chordestral
ARP Tangerine Bells
Whisper Vox
PCM The Preset
Supersphere
Velogalaxy
Alice in Emuland
Female Choir
Thanx Patchwork
EII Grand Piano
Angelic Composite
Orchestra Bells
Pianoanalog
Seq Dream 80's
Church Bell Space
Romantic Cello Violin
Orchestra Hell.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:06:00 PM by JMP » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - The Next Generation?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines