E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Help with SP-12 - mainboard related.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:03:49 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Drumulator Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Help with SP-12 - mainboard related.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help with SP-12 - mainboard related.  (Read 4716 times)
12bit

« on: January 11, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »

Hi Guys.

I recently noticed some strange behaviour with my SP-12 - and I measured the voltage on the battery - it was dead.

I exchanged it with a new 3V Lithium battery but something must have gone wrong because my SP does not boot anymore. Nothing in the display, no lights, no nothing :-(.

I examined my soldering underneath the mainboard of the SP - and maybe some of my 'work' has cut some traces/melted some traces on the board.

But I am not sure as I can't tell for sure. I don't seem to be able to tell from the Service Manual either (I am no great tech)

I was wondering if anyone in here has a picture of a working mainboard from underneath the print (more precisely around the battery solders).

Please please please help. I miss her.

Kenneth Abildgaard

E-mu Systems Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, Emulator IIIXP, SP12 Turbo, E-mu Systems SP1200 (gray face), Drumulator + Pad Controller, Emax, Emax II, E6400 and E6400 Ultra + a lot of other synths/samplers.
rtech

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »

Hey Kenneth, Ive changed the battery and other components on Sp12 and 1200s, on these the traces are pretty big so check for continuity with a multimeter. if you find that there is a break in the trace, solder a jumper cable. Make sure that you didnt bend any capacitors they can be shorting out. On one that I did i had bent a capacitor by the OS EPROMs and it would not boot. After i straightened out and it was no longer shorting out, the SP12 booted properly.

If you look some of the components are soldered on top of others they have plastic protectors over the exposed leads. These are the ones you should check.

rtech

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:45:42 PM by rtech » Logged
12bit

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »

Thanks rtech. I will look into your suggestions.

Best;

Kenneth

E-mu Systems Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, Emulator IIIXP, SP12 Turbo, E-mu Systems SP1200 (gray face), Drumulator + Pad Controller, Emax, Emax II, E6400 and E6400 Ultra + a lot of other synths/samplers.
rtech

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:11:40 PM »

No problem. One more thing, when you soldered the battery leads make sure that you didnt put too much solder as one of the solder points has a trace real close by. Make sure that the battery lead is not shorting out with that trace. If I remember correctly this is on the solder point closer to the front of the SPs board.

12bit

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:40:59 AM »

I took a picture from underneath my SP12's Mainboard.
I really REALLY think I messed it up - but have a look.

If ANYONE plan to exchange their battery or have their SP12 taken apart PLEASE take a picture similar to mine (but sharper please :-).

I would really like to see how it's supposed to look - and to see what goes to what here :-(

HELP HELP HELP !!

KennethA

* foto.JPG (546.15 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 767 times.)

sfbaytech

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »

That blob of solder on the right hand pin looks like it is shorting the two tracks together.
rtech

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »

kenneth, yeah it looks like there is a short like sfbaytech said. The other thing i noticed is that the trace by the battery pin on the left looks like its been cut, but its hard to tell as there are black burn marks around the pins. Us alcohol with a toothbrush and clean it so you can see it clearly.

rtech
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:40:36 PM by rtech » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Help with SP-12 - mainboard related.

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines