E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Bought myself an EII

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:03:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Bought myself an EII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Bought myself an EII  (Read 7604 times)
modmaker

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 04:36:07 AM »

Havn't updated for a while. Sorry about that.

Out of 108 tested disks, 96 were still readable.  Smiley
Then the new drive started acting up as well and I grew tired for a while trying to fix the drive problems. I was happy having a working/sounding sampler to play with and it boots without problem from HxC. I still have a couple of library disks though, that I would have liked to convert before abandoning 5,25" completely.

Now, it seems all three FDDs that I have, spin up and reads only the first sector sticking on "Software Rev. 3.1" So, the spindle motors and read heads all seem fine but the stepper motors never kicks in on either of the three drives when connected to the Emulator.

When I mount the FDDs in a PC, the stepper motors however, works fine on all drives (alltough I havn't tried reading/writing from a PC) so it seems all three drives act exactly the same way regardless of whether I'm using them in the EII or in a PC. This leads me to suspect that the floppydrives are actually OK but the problem is within the EII.

Voltage should be fine, the machine is steadily giving +4.55 and +12.something volts.
Also I've tried feeding the FDDs with the PSU from the PC, same result.

The most suspected culprits are:
  • The PIO chips - Next thing I'm going to try is clean/reseat/exchange.
  • The 12V supply somehow even though it measures fine. HxC doesn't use it, but the drives use it both for the spindle- as well as the stepper motors.

Is there anything else I should check?
Also, is there anyone on the Swedish westcoast on this board with an EII willing to test my drives in their machine?

BR

modmaker

EII, EIIIxp, Proteus/1, EIVk, ESI-2000, E5000, E4XT
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Bought myself an EII

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines