E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Mac sound designer

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:53:55 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  Mac sound designer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mac sound designer  (Read 5373 times)
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« on: March 14, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »

Hello everybody,

I wonder how to know if my EII is Compatible with a mac for sounddesigner communication?

It's a 2028 model with serial 1004. The output board is Rev1 and The digital board is Rev1. At last the memory board is REV0

I had read the sound designer manual, and the fonctions are pretty cool like the karplus algorithm.  Shocked

2 hands with 10 fingers
lubb

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:58:40 PM »

Hi,

EmulatorAchive says:

"Emulator II's with Rev 0 Logic Boards (serial numbers below approximately 990 (dual drive) and 460 (single drive) require an upgrade that converts the serial interface to RS422 to work with Sound Designer. This is a simple replacement of the old RS232 driver chips with new RS422 chips. E-mu Systems produced this on a small daughterboard which is no longer available. You may be able to get a service centre to do this upgrade for you as the changes are small - see the RS422 schematic manual.

Both Emulator II EPROM's must be at Version 2.1 or higher, the OS diskettes must be at OS Version 2.2 or higher. OS 2.3 is HIGHLY recommended.

Some Rev 1 Logic Boards may also need correcting (probably serial numbers from approximately 950 to 1100 ), but with a different modification. "

Considering the serial# of your machine (1004), it may need this different modification...

(More detailed infos are in the PDF "SoundDesigner Emulator II System Troubleshooting". You can download it from the Yahoo EII user group or I can send it to you.)

Good luck.
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »

Thanks,

so the best solution is to already have a mac se and to test this...

Before i never know that one   day i will have an eii.. 4 years ago, a man sold a mac se for 25 euros in my city...
 Cry

One of my bigger mistake in life. Lol

2 hands with 10 fingers
lubb

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:02:06 AM »

In the document mentioned above you can find the technical criteria your EII (logic board Rev 1 ser. 950 - 1100) must meet in order to communicate with Mac... but you can simply test the SD for EII with some vintage Mac... in that case you should consult the  list of proven Macs on the Emulator II List (Yahoo)...

Remember, you need also a special cable for connecting EII and Mac. See:

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Archives/Samplers/E2Overview/E2SD/e2sd.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:51:21 AM by lubb » Logged
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 05:48:35 AM »

yes... a special cable sold on ebay..

I will try to get an old mac at a good price.

thank you very much for the advice.

So this post is close now  Wink

2 hands with 10 fingers
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:47:11 AM »

Back again...

I've found a macintosh, and just received a mini 8 pin. I'm waiting for a disk reader to tranfer SD from macbook to mac se/30.. Even if it won't work i will keep my macSE... For an emax?..

thanks to all users !!

2 hands with 10 fingers
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 06:27:38 AM »

arGHHH.

Sound designer can't communicated with the EII. Maybe RS422 need a modification. Before i have to check the cable.

Is it important to wire the shield on pin 7??

Thanks

2 hands with 10 fingers
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 04:32:31 AM »

Final Round...  Cool

It's working. I had change the IC138.

Thanks to everybody. The old posts were very helpful on this forum and yahoo group.

I had to add the spec on yahoo group. Maybe my EII Is one of first REV 1 Digital board!

It's working very great with mac se/30 O.S 6.1.  Very fast communication. the HXC works very good !!

It's like a TechnoPunk Creative Music System !!  'had to create a music label !

2 hands with 10 fingers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Mac sound designer

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines