E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Floppy Disk Hardware Emulation: Your EII floppies on a memory stick?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:50:01 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Floppy Disk Hardware Emulation: Your EII floppies on a memory stick?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Floppy Disk Hardware Emulation: Your EII floppies on a memory stick?  (Read 48056 times)
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2009, 01:16:20 PM »

Sorry about the delay....   As I half suspected and others rather cynically thought, the devices from China appear to be optimised for DOS based formats only.  This annoys me as this is not how the drives were described to me!  In fact this little "experiment" cost me a small fortune  Roll Eyes

I obtained samples of the 3.5HD and DD drives as well as a 5.25DD.  I tried the drives in several pieces of equipment including the Prophet 2002 sampler, the EMAX II and EIII and Alesis Datadisk.  Sadly the drives didn't work in any of them!

What actually proved my suspicions in the end was connecting the drive to an old Archimedes computer.   When attempting to format a disk in native ADFS mode it just didn't work but when I formatted a disk in DOS mode it did... slowly!

Taking the drives apart I suspect the emulation is just too slow and inflexible.

Before you all slit your wrists....   Having read up on exactly how the Shugart interface works I am still absolutely convinced that a solid state flopy drive could be designed for the EII.   As I've said before the key is totally ignore the EIIs format and simply oversample the data in each track just as a logic analyser would.  With the use of a small FPGA, an STM32 and some SRAM this would be possible and relatively inexpensive.

There have been many interested in this concept for both the Emulators and the Fairlight.

There wouldn't be too much issue me designing the hardware right up to a production worthy device but I'm not up to writing the firmware and FPGA code.

Sadly the biggest issue is that since I do this kind of design work for a living I've got precious little time outside of work for concocting such a thing.

Maybe one day!

I'm sorry to get all of your hopes up with this device - as I said please don't give up on the idea entirely.  Although it may seem a long way off you must remember that the level of technology required to achieve this task is pretty mundane by todays standards - hell if you can emulate an entire Amiga in an FPGA you CAN emulate a floppy drive in one too!  Grin

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »

That's bad news.

I'm wondering why these companies don't make that kind of universal device you're describing ? One would think that making it DOS-only would take more effort from them than simply making a lower level piece of hardware.

It seems like most hardware projects announced during the last months all kind of "fail" or "get into trouble". Remember the idea to make a synchronous RS422 device for PCs... ? It seems like those projects are also not very successful.
If I would know more about hardware, I would give it a (unsuccessful ?) try myself, but I'm not (yet).

Anyway, many thanks for the effort and investments you made !

///E-Synthesist

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »

That's bad news.

I'm wondering why these companies don't make that kind of universal device you're describing ? One would think that making it DOS-only would take more effort from them than simply making a lower level piece of hardware.

It seems like most hardware projects announced during the last months all kind of "fail" or "get into trouble". Remember the idea to make a synchronous RS422 device for PCs... ? It seems like those projects are also not very successful.
If I would know more about hardware, I would give it a (unsuccessful ?) try myself, but I'm not (yet).

///E-Synthesist

That's right. Thank you for your efforts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »

That's bad news.

///E-Synthesist

Thanks for that - Like I said I'm really sorry to get all of your hopes up.   After a bit of thought I have decided to further investigate the idea of designing some custom hardware from scratch.  I will keep you posted.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:03:06 AM by HideawayStudio » Logged

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
psoul

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »

i try to contact the china team that sell this product and ask their support...
from what i understand that product doesn't support the RY34, the ready signal on pin 34... that should be the matter cause they doesn't wotk...
i would like to try them with emu sp1200 and akai mpc 60.... but both ask the signal ready on pin 34....

my 2 cents
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2009, 06:32:27 AM »

i try to contact the china team that sell this product and ask their support...
from what i understand that product doesn't support the RY34, the ready signal on pin 34... that should be the matter cause they doesn't wotk...
i would like to try them with emu sp1200 and akai mpc 60.... but both ask the signal ready on pin 34....

my 2 cents

You might want to follow my new thread:

http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=216.0

I'm starting development of my own product which is far more likely to work in all Shugart applications - including EII.

dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »

This seems very promising. It should work with the Fairlight Series II. But given all the other gear it support it might be a solution for the EII. Attention, it is french.

http://jeanfrancoisdelnero.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html

Here's the Google translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjeanfrancoisdelnero.free.fr%2Ffloppy_drive_emulator%2Findex.html&sl=fr&tl=en
Specialjustin

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 02:02:55 PM »

This time there is actually a picture of somme musical hardware working with this stuff

The HxCFloppyEmulator on Korg DSS-1!!!!

Now that is promising.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2009, 02:38:37 AM »

This time there is actually a picture of somme musical hardware working with this stuff

The HxCFloppyEmulator on Korg DSS-1!!!!

Now that is promising.

Where? Who? What??   Shocked   When?  ?   ?
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2009, 03:14:51 AM »

Hi Elmbeatz,

See the link above in my previous posting.
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »

Mmm... I have that HxC thing here for my DSS1.
Never tried it though, it's still in the box. But now I see that the firmware also supports write activity - mine is an older read-only version. And replacing the firmware seems to be a thing for hardware freaks...

This HxC project is a great initiative but I'm following it for some time now and it seems to me that progress is pretty slow, especially regarding the stand-alone version.

///E-Synthesist
Specialjustin

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »

This HxC project is a great initiative but I'm following it for some time now and it seems to me that progress is pretty slow, especially regarding the stand-alone version.

///E-Synthesist

That's where hideaway steps in, no?
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2009, 04:40:25 AM »

That's where hideaway steps in, no?

Yes he is ! He's playing with multiple ideas at this moment for the Emu. Most probably he'll post an update on his activities soon  Wink
I'm not sure though if other samplers like the DSS are (still) part of his objectives.
Escobar

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2009, 03:55:18 AM »

I just found this (don't know if you have already seen it):

http://www.ipcas.com/products/usb-floppy-emulator-fdd-to-udd.html

Well... the pricetag says no, no, no,nooooooo.....  Sad
Press the 'shop' link on that site to see the price.

//Escobar
EIIIxp

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2009, 07:58:17 AM »

wow that would be great if it works.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Floppy Disk Hardware Emulation: Your EII floppies on a memory stick?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines