E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Floppy Disk Hardware Emulation: Your EII floppies on a memory stick?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:33:14 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Floppy Disk Hardware Emulation: Your EII floppies on a memory stick?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Floppy Disk Hardware Emulation: Your EII floppies on a memory stick?  (Read 48053 times)
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »

I just found this (don't know if you have already seen it):

http://www.ipcas.com/products/usb-floppy-emulator-fdd-to-udd.html

Well... it's German and it costs a lot.
Most probably this is the device Wintermute has been testing without any success, right Wintermute Huh

///E-Synthesist
wintermute

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2009, 04:51:19 AM »

Thats not the device I tested...but my guess is that this device is the same hideaway ordered in China. The functions and specs are pretty similar. The main purpose of these floppy emulator devices is just to replace old floppy drives that have been used for business purpose. Since most of the companies used DOS for the last 25 years or so DOS (and most applications are based on DOS) this is the main system to be supported.

HxC looks like the most promising device to me at the moment...althought the USB-PC connection thingy is not an option for me. I hope the developement of the standalone version will advance soon. We shoud try to get in contact with the developer.
xmota

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2009, 11:03:03 AM »

Hi,

have you seen the Uniflash?

http://www.2av.com.ua/indexe.htm
http://www.sequencer.de/blog/?p=730
http://home.arcor.de/hdm-world/ensoniq%20ts%20serie_de.htm

It looks like it works with Korg, Yamaha, Roland, Ensoniq products.

Escobar

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2009, 09:01:59 PM »

I guess that's what we're looking for more or less...

captainjc

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2009, 05:54:02 AM »

alright so i'm sure there is some reason why this won't work with the e2... go ahead dash all our hopes and dreams  Sad
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »

alright so i'm sure there is some reason why this won't work with the e2... go ahead dash all our hopes and dreams  Sad

Hello all....   Having owned an EII+ for several weeks and pulled it apart along with reading the service manual I'm starting to see why the EII is a particularly difficult disk format to read in a modern PC.  The problem is that rather unusually the EII does NOT have a disk controller - it's floppy disk support is carried out by a bunch of off the shelf discrete ICs and some clever firmware.   Most devices designed in the 80s and 90s used disk controllers such as the Intel 8271 and the WD1770 and WD1772 - these generally lead to similar low level formats.  Unfortunately since the EII's format is purely determined in firmware via a PIO and CTC it's unlikely to be similar to either of these.

There is just a chance that HxC could be coded to work with these disks but it's not entirely likely.

This is why I still intend to plough on with my EMXfer project giving us all USB sample transfer via the "Computer Interface" for Windows in Sound Designer format for EII via EMXP.   This interface runs at 50Kbytes / second and hence will be much quicker than midi sample dump.  The project is still underway but progress has slowed a little.  The first revision of the hardware has been designed but needs to be manufactured and then some firmware written.

The good news is that it's looking increasingly possible we will be granted permission to distribute a large chunk of the official sample libraries (ie. factory and OMI disks 1&2 but not currently disk #3) in SD format.

I really hope to have a production ready interface available by the end of the year.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:28:30 AM by HideawayStudio » Logged

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2009, 11:39:52 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ali_g12

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2009, 02:27:35 AM »

Any updates on this?  I am very interested!
Drone

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »

The good news is that it's looking increasingly possible we will be granted permission to distribute a large chunk of the official sample libraries (ie. factory and OMI disks 1&2 but not currently disk #3) in SD format.

I really hope to have a production ready interface available by the end of the year.  Smiley

As a revision one owner I'm really looking forward to your developments,
and I enjoyed your Novachord video on youtube ! That thing sounds haunting !
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Floppy Disk Hardware Emulation: Your EII floppies on a memory stick?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines