E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax showing weird characters in LCD.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:32:34 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emax showing weird characters in LCD.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emax showing weird characters in LCD.  (Read 4424 times)
12bit

« on: April 19, 2012, 11:50:08 PM »

Hi all.

My aging Emax is showing some weird characters. Sometimes it is at start up, sometimes it comes after a while.

The machine is working as it should even though it is a little hard to navigate through the menus.

Some days ago I took out the E-Chip and reseated it. It seemed to work, but now the problem is back.

I am not sure if it IS the E-chip that is controlling the LCD, but if it isn't can some of you lead me in the right direction here ?

Have a wonderful day;

Kenneth.

E-mu Systems Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, Emulator IIIXP, SP12 Turbo, E-mu Systems SP1200 (gray face), Drumulator + Pad Controller, Emax, Emax II, E6400 and E6400 Ultra + a lot of other synths/samplers.
sabotage

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »

I have the same problem here too,Emax will load and load banks but the screen will start behaving weird with crazy characters after a while,sometimes immediately.

Help !

Thanks.
Alan EIII

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:17:18 AM »

It gets to the lcd but usualy this is PSU related.

Lcd is just a side effect of the board system not properly powered.(panel buttons have no effect)

First verify the psu connector(clean them)

I don't know if the psu has to be calibrated like the one on the EIII but it also could be a good way to fix.(you could also do a recap job on the psu.)

I have 2 emax II
one i behaving like yours
the other one is perfect and can be left powered for a long time without a problem.

the one that have the problem come from a wet environement the other one has been babycared.

On the one that has the lcd issue I can hear a little whitle noise coming from the psu - it gets louder the longer it stays powered.(and then it happens)
krikorola

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:05:23 AM »

Hi
New here, this is my first post!
i have exactly the same problem.
it does seem related to the PSU, i'm trying to recap it but i can't find the value of some of the ceramic cap on it.

those are the ones:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3565/img2012071700242.jpg

and

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9669/lehavre2012071000230.jpg

Also i don't understand what it being referred as the "CS PAL" in the trim and
diagnostic manual, page 9 problem: No Boot -> Bad CS PAL -> Replace CS PAL

cheers
Krikor
sabotage

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:57:49 AM »

Same problem here.... so frustrating...

Now,some time the Emax will boot with those weird characters or bad display... it may turn good after it's on for a few hours but than when I get to do some work it will display those characters again...

So,did anyone find a solution to this ?

Thanks.
krikorola

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:34:07 AM »

Actually after reseating some of the digital board chips everything went back to normal.
but be extra cautious when you do it! you need a good chip extractor.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax showing weird characters in LCD.

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines