E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII Power Supply diagnostics/repair in Paris, France

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:57:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EII Power Supply diagnostics/repair in Paris, France
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EII Power Supply diagnostics/repair in Paris, France  (Read 5257 times)
Gregory

« on: August 11, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »

Hello and thank you to everyone for this fantastic forum..
I'm a happy owner of Emulator II, Emulator II+ and Emax II Turbo rack. And the EII needs a power supply repair.

Does anyone know a company or a person in Paris, France where I could bring the EII's PSU itself for diagnostics and repair?
I would greatly appreciate any advice on that..

I had no luck to find a such company or technician in my area, but I'm going to France in a couple of weeks - maybe it's a good opportunity to finally repair the PSU and bring the brilliant instrument back to its life. Again, I would greatly appreciate any hint.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:14:44 PM by Gregory » Logged
lunatic

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 01:53:40 AM »

Hey Gregory, where are you located? I know about these guys in france: http://www.analog-lutherie.fr/ In germany a good guy is: http://studiorepair.de/

E-mu Emulator II + HD, E-mu EMAX, E-mu SP-12, E-mu Esi 32, Dynacord ADD-one + ADD-drive, Simmons Clap Trap, Moog Slim Phatty, Juno 106, OB Matrix 6R, OTO Biscuit
Gregory

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:30:37 AM »

Hey lunatic,
Thank you very much for your answer. I've just sent a message to analog lutherie.
For the moment, I'm located in Eastern Europe. So far, I haven't found any appropriate technicians.
Gregory

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:42:48 AM »

Since I haven't receive any reply from analog-lutherie.fr, I'm still looking for a technician or repairing service company in Paris or nearby.

Does anyone have any ideas?..

P.S. Just in case, I attached a picture of the PSU.
I also called some synth repairing companies here in Moscow, but they can't offer any repairing procedures for this kind of PSU.
So, my hopes are to repair it in Paris.

* IMGP0139.JPG (1901.04 KB, 2288x1712 - viewed 1297 times.)
Freddy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »

Maybe you can describe the mistake. Is there any reaction at all (shining led's)? The easiest thing I would start with, is to check if for example if the fuse is ok. You can try to identify cold solder joints. The capacitors seem to be right ... After this I would contact a technician.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:21:28 PM by Freddy » Logged
Gregory

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:59:07 PM »

Thank you very much for your advice.
You see, this PSU had low voltage symptoms in the past. But when I turned it on recently, I've heard a strange sound and felt a burning smell from the PSU (I opened the cover and made sure it was the PSU).
As for the reaction, there were random leds, but nothing on the display. The disk drives didn't spin as well.

Chris Hewitt (www.thisoldsynth.com) was kind enough to provide me with his technical advices. Based on my photos, he discovered at least one problem - a cold solder joint.
Just yesterday I took the PSU to one of the local service companies, which seems to be trusted. I will keep this topic updated with my progress.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 12:44:23 AM »

Hello Gregory,
I have fixed hundreds of II's in paris, and the ususal fault was bad soldering under the white Molex connector, otherways, I replaced it immediately.
Are you in Paris ? If you come, I believe you are not goint to take the machine with you ? If you want to take the power supply alone and have it fixed, forget about it.
you should type "vintage parts" on Google and look for a PSU, or if someone has a dead E2, propose him to buy the power supply.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 01:58:47 AM »

Gregory, I have sent you a message...
Gregory

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »

Hello dr.c,

Thank you! I have sent you a reply.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII Power Supply diagnostics/repair in Paris, France

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines