E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Need a 5 1/4 drive for Emulator II

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:58:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  For Sale
| | |-+  Need a 5 1/4 drive for Emulator II
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need a 5 1/4 drive for Emulator II  (Read 5001 times)
kdk

« on: September 24, 2012, 01:47:57 PM »

My Shugart 5 1/4" drive in my EII has died. I'm looking for a replacement drive. If anyone has one that I can buy, rent, or borrow, please let me know.

Thanks!
Kirk
lunatic

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:32:52 AM »

Do you have a Hxc reader already? Might be the time to upgrade...

E-mu Emulator II + HD, E-mu EMAX, E-mu SP-12, E-mu Esi 32, Dynacord ADD-one + ADD-drive, Simmons Clap Trap, Moog Slim Phatty, Juno 106, OB Matrix 6R, OTO Biscuit
kdk

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:58:44 AM »

Well that's what I'm trying to do.

I'm installing an HxC Rev F and that is working, but I have about 200 floppies that I want to copy off a 5 1/4 drive and move them to the SD card on the HxC.

So I still need a working 5 1/4...

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »

I HAVE HEARD (that means NO GUARANTEE) that this type of drive works in an EII:

fd-55gfr

Maybe you give one of these a try on ebay or so...
lunatic

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »

i have an EII+HD. Planning to remove the HD an replace it with a HxC soon. Maybe then i could convert the disks for you. I think there are people already having a 5.25 drive and HxC that could help you out.

There are two shugart 5.25 floppies on ebay atm, both expensive though. Have you tried cleaning the drives head? Most of the times this works...

E-mu Emulator II + HD, E-mu EMAX, E-mu SP-12, E-mu Esi 32, Dynacord ADD-one + ADD-drive, Simmons Clap Trap, Moog Slim Phatty, Juno 106, OB Matrix 6R, OTO Biscuit
kdk

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »

I HAVE HEARD (that means NO GUARANTEE) that this type of drive works in an EII:

fd-55gfr

There's several versions of the FD55GFR. The one that's listed somewhere online that I cannot find at this moment is the Teac FD55GFR-7220. The manual listed here:
http://www.artisan-scientific.com/info/TEAC_FD55GFR_Series_Manual.pdf
 shows that there are several versions - the dark beige FD55GFR-7149 and the light  beige FD55GFR-7193. There are some differences between them more than just color - the 7149 and the 7193 both support high density disks, while the 7220 looks like it only supports normal density disk.

Has anyone had success using the 7149 or 7193 drives? I can get one of those without too much problem.
kdk

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »

i have an EII+HD. Planning to remove the HD an replace it with a HxC soon. Maybe then i could convert the disks for you. I think there are people already having a 5.25 drive and HxC that could help you out.

There are two shugart 5.25 floppies on ebay atm, both expensive though. Have you tried cleaning the drives head? Most of the times this works...

It's a lot of disks I have so I don't mind doing the conversion myself.

It's not a head cleaning issue - the drive will not spin at all.  When I try to boot, the EII does the booting up info on the LCD, and the drive just sits there with the red LED on.  The LED on the floppy then blinks every few seconds after that. There is no movement of the read/write head, nor does the disk spin.

Could someone list the jumper settings they are using on their floppy drive - perhaps I have something wrong with the jumpers? I probably moved them to the wrong spots when I was first playing with a Rev C HxC last year and maybe I didn't get them back to the right spots??
Kirk
Futureman

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »

I've got an E2 drive you can buy.

It worked fine when I removed it (replaced with HxC)

PM me with a realistic offer.

I'm located in Australia, so bear in mind the postage will be extra.

Cheers

I approve of this message.
kdk

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:24:16 AM »

THanks, Futureman!

I found a Teac FD55GFR-7149 locally. I'm picking it up today so I'll see if I can get that to work. If I can't, I'll PM you.

Thanks again!
Kirk
kdk

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »

Well, I got ahold of the Teac I mentioned above and it acts just the same as my original EII Shugart...

I'll try them both with the Kryoflux I bought last year and see what happens with them then.
JMP

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 11:24:21 PM »

Did you get sorted? Think I have a spare Panasonic JU475 that works with my EII.

kdk

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »

Nope - I still can't get either the factory 5 1/4" or the Teac I mentioned above to work. Neither drive spins - they just sit there with the LED flashing.

So at this point I have the HxC installed with no floppy drive hooked up.

JMP - could you PM me with details to get your Panasonic?

Thanks!
Kirk
JMP

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »

The fact both are doing exactly the same thing makes me think it is not the drive but the power being supplied to it. I'm no tech, but my EII needed adjustment to the PSU in order to get FDD's working. 

My experience of trying different 5.25 drives that are worn out are the differences, i.e. slight spin, noise, read/write errors etc.

If you still want a spare, you may need to wait a couple of weeks until my EII is set up and I can re-test it. Whilst it once tested as working, I'm not sure it was a minter !

kdk

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »

Good suggestion. I'll check the voltages and see what they are.
Kirk
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Need a 5 1/4 drive for Emulator II

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines