E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Tell me why the E3 is better than the E2 please.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:32:39 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII General Discussion
| | |-+  Tell me why the E3 is better than the E2 please.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tell me why the E3 is better than the E2 please.  (Read 5141 times)
Solaris

« on: October 23, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »

Please tell me as I have the choice to direct my hunting to one or the other (with some concrete opportunities). A knowledgable person I know told me E3 but the e2 sounds better on some sounds (bigger, gritter...8bit I love )
Thank you !
Isham
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 01:25:48 PM »

in technical terms, the EIII is "better" (of course).
Soundwise, I prefer the EII.
I find that you can hardly compare them with each other...
Solaris

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »

Thank you for sharing your experience ! I had the same gut feeling in fact... Only few persons on this planet have the chance to compare both. Are they both equivalent in term of reliability ? Huh
Cheers
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 03:05:23 AM »

More or less - yes - in a negative way I have to say.
My EIII is a bit more stable, though some voices are faulty, and booting with scsi chain equipment can be pain.
Be advised that EIIs are VERY "sensitive" and WILL require special treatment from time to time (like reseating ICs, maybe overhauling the psu, etc.). They're NOT workhorses, I doubt they ever were...  They don't even like to be carried around!
But playing around with them, enjoying their FAT sound is a real pleasure.
Solaris

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »

Thank you for sharing as well your experience Grin
Fragile to transport as well , mmhh, any tips to avoid issues during shipping (I read somewhere the power supply may even move inside the machine ?)

Best,
Isham
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »

I agree with Elm.

Soundwise the E-II has a lot of character ("deep" sound, slightly "coarse", not very refined nor cristal clear) while the E-III has a "cleaner" sound (this even gets worse - or better if you like - with the EIIIX series).
Of course the E-III is more advanced with more possibilities, memory, and SCSI.
FYI: I rarely use the E-III, while the E-II is always connected in my studio.

Both samplers are not reliable. Especially if you transport them (even on a soft surface on the backseat of a car), but in case of my E-IIs they even get unreliable by just sitting on a table Wink
The E-II is suffering from all kinds of bad/weak contacts (IC sockets, board and ribbon connectors, buttons...) so be prepared to open the unit from time to time to push some ICs and unplug/plug connectors.
The E-III is suffering from weak voice circuits. Mine has one voice which is distorted, and which I - nor another synth technician - have been able to repair. Fortunately you can disable individual voices in one of the master settings menus (this can be done in the E-II too). In my E-III the distorted voice has been disabled for 2 years already; it's a 15 voice polyphonic sampler now Wink

Knowing that both samplers are inreliable, it's good to know that the E-II is "service-friendly": it's quite easy to service the unit and to repair it.
The E-III on the other hand is a technician's nightmare. It has not been designed to be serviced. The way the PCB boards are mechanically installed in a kind of "plug-in tower" makes it impossible to quickly trace/find problems with meters and oscilloscopes: none of the electronic components can easily be reached with probes. So often the technician has to remove and disconnect one or more of the boards from the tower, solder some wires on the points that should be measured, reinstall the boards, power on the sampler and do the measurements on the wires. And this over and over again until the failure has been found. In practice this means that synth technicians need a lot of time to do some simple checks, which results in high service costs.

My advice: go for an E-II. And avoid the E-II/HD versions, go for a normal E-II or E-II+
Solaris

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »

Feedback much appreciated ! Thank u !
Even before getting one I m looking for a repair center who has experience with Emu around my area ...
Best
Isham
micromoog

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »

EII vs. EIII -> SSM vs. Curtis Filters

SSM sounds more "creamy"
massimo

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 03:09:56 PM »

buy an E3 and an Oberheim DPX-1 sample player (with those ssm filters), and load the latter with E2 sounds. It plays them back wonderfully. Then take advantage of the E3's mighty 8Mb of ram and make it play those longer samples from its huge library and process them through its analog guts (envelopes, multiple lfo's). Enjoy

best regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Tell me why the E3 is better than the E2 please.

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines