E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII new OLED display

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:33:00 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EIII new OLED display
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: EIII new OLED display  (Read 25191 times)
xuulan
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »

I'm a new user here on the forum, but I've been doing synth and sampler mods and repairs for a while now. Some of you might be familiar with my work on the DSS-1 upgrade.

I recently picked up a used EIII on eBay. It was in pretty rough shape but after a bit of TLC it's working great. First of all, I replaced the display with an OLED model (Newhaven Display #NHD-0420DZW-AY5 (98mm x 60mm)). I removed the inverter so no more annoying whine from the display. Second, I re-switched the whole front panel as one of the previous owners had spilled <something> and some of the switches weren't working. The switches are available new from Digi-Key, part #EG2548-ND. E-switch is the manufacturer.
The EIII wouldn't power up at first, the power supply would just "clunk" about once a second. I sent it to Nyco Systems who still repair them, but when I got it back, it still wouldn't fire up. Turns out the voltage selector switch was bad. The switch will connect two wires on the PSU when set for 120V, so mine was expecting 220V since the switch wasn't making contact. I just connected the wires together on the PSU itself and it fired up right away.

I've attached a picture of the new OLED display. I chose yellow but they have it in green too. It's very thin and fits perfectly, which is good since the LED backlit ones are thicker and probably wouldn't work.

* DSC05520.JPG (2831.88 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 1484 times.)
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »

Hi and Welcome!

That looks just amazing!!!!
Congratulations!!!!
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »

That OLED looks stunning on the EIII.
Was it a 1:1 fit or did it need some adjusting?
xuulan
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »

It just dropped right in, no problems at all. Even easier that putting in an LED backlight one. Didn't have to mess with resistor values for current limiting or contrast either.
Syncla

my beloved

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »

does it fit in the keyboard even?

The only Answer for all questions is: Emulator

E III Kb ; E IV XT ULTRA ; E-Synth Rack; Emax SE Plus Kb
Rumbler

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »

I would also be interested to know if this would work the same way in the keyboard version. Smiley

Emulator I, Emulator IIx2, Emulator III, Emax SE Rack, Emax II Rack 8mg, EIIIXP, EIIIXS, SP1200
xuulan
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »

I don't see why it wouldn't... It's just as thin or thinner than the original display. If I could see a close up picture of the EIII keyboard LCD from inside, I would have a better idea.
ddvdave

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »

I just ordered one of these OLED displays for an EIII keyboard. I will update the forum in a week or so when I receive the new display and have time to install it.
antenne

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 11:27:18 PM »

Great ! - i'll stay tuned.
Rumbler

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »

very interested to see pics Smiley)

Emulator I, Emulator IIx2, Emulator III, Emax SE Rack, Emax II Rack 8mg, EIIIXP, EIIIXS, SP1200
ddvdave

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »

Well, IT WORKED!!! Yes, that's right, the OLED display installed by xuulan in his EIII rack also fits perfectly in the EIII keyboard.

I wouldn't say installation was a "breeze", however if you are technical and have good (de-)soldering skills it's really not that hard.

The Newhaven NHD-0420DZW-AY5 OLED is pin-compatible, however you need to leave pin 3 (contrast) N/C to the OLED. Contrast is irrelevant with OLED display anyway, so now I have a superfluous contrast knob on my EIII Smiley

Next up: replacing the aged Quantum ProDrive 230S with some kind of CF reader. Looks like the AztecMonster is the best internal option right now? I can't believe how the prices on the ACARD AEC7720U have skyrocketed! I bought one for my Emax HD for $40 a couple of years ago!

-Dave

* size_comparison.jpg (568.91 KB, 1617x1028 - viewed 1272 times.)

* installed.jpg (495.96 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 1119 times.)
antenne

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 07:16:11 AM »

I have it working in my EIII KB now.
As stated it fits perfectly -
The new display has 16 connector pads as opposed the old one's 14
- just connect 1-14 ( except 3 - contrast, leave that unconnected )
The old display had two extra wires connected, just desolder them from the front panel pcb.

* photo.JPG (537.1 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 1068 times.)
Rumbler

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 03:30:49 PM »

That's AWESOME! Looks great Smiley

djscratchd

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 11:32:26 PM »

Man that is beautiful. I am going to add one to my old beast next!

The sleeper must awaken......
powmax

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 06:24:25 AM »

BTW: here is a shoot of a EIIIx Display waiting for OLED replacement  Roll Eyes
PIN 15 & 16 are still unused from factory

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII new OLED display

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines