E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Hard drive problem

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:17:27 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII XP Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Hard drive problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Hard drive problem  (Read 10255 times)
JeEA

« on: December 16, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »

Hi!

I just received my Emulator 3Xp my first E-mu product not counting soundcards for pc. Grin
Anyway the hard drive is mounted and it se's the drive. I can even save to the drive....I guess. I saved an emty bank.

Well the thing is I want the system disk copied to the hd, so I can use the sampler without the system disk.
It is if the software gets saved, but the machine keeps running through the various SCSI numbers insted of booting. Huh

Putting the system disk in, and it boots nicely. Cool

Anyone in here who have tried it or something similar?

Br Jens
modmaker

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »

Yep, tried it and it worked flawlessly (using OS ver2.10)

1) Go to "Master Globals"
2) Select "7 Disk Utilities"
3) in the sub-menu, select "4 Copy Software"
4) Choose "D0 Floppy Drive" as the drive to copy software from
5) Press "Inc/Yes" in order to erase banks (this is just the internal memory, won't erase anything on any disk)

Then you should get a "Loading Software..." message.
Once the software has been loaded into the machine, select the destination for the OS.
In my case this is "D1 Seagate ST1480", press the Enter button.

Done (if you followed the instruction correctly and everything is all right with your machine).

EII, EIIIxp, Proteus/1, EIVk, ESI-2000, E5000, E4XT
JeEA

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

Hi

That's exactly what I did and I saved an empty bank before restarting the machine, so it should work. Then it must be the hard disk.

I'll se if I can get hold of another one.

Thanks for Your help.

Br Jens
modmaker

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »

Yeah, I recon you had done that, but you wern't that specific.  Wink

Last resort is to make sure the disk isn't locked. (alternative 5 under Disk utilities) and ensure it doesn't have anything with SCSI termination.
Then I'd say your drive is toast.

/mod

EII, EIIIxp, Proteus/1, EIVk, ESI-2000, E5000, E4XT
JeEA

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 01:31:48 AM »

Well I have not installed the drive myself so maybe it is not terminated.

Would that make the EIII search for additional SCSI devices?

I'm kind of new to the SCSI world Cheesy

Br Jens
janvanvolt

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »

If the harddrive is visible and does not boot up upon start then the OS is missing. Either the OS Version is not supported
or some other error. The HD i sent you has the latest OS was just picked out of my EIII-XP but also i sent you the OS on two
disks. You can only copy the OS from a working medium to another one, e.g. you can't format using the running system and then put OS on it.
JeEA

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »

Hi Jan
I look forward to install the drive. I do have the latest os from the internet on one disk. The one I boot the Emu with.
But the hd does not seem to work since it is impossible to save to it. However I Can get a drive size 2 gb

Cheers
JeEA

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »

Today I Think the drive died. Now it Will not boot from harddrive as it used to. Also I Can not Mount the drive anymore. Tried changing the scsi id, but no luck. I guess it's toast Cry

Decided to give it another chance. Wink

Thanks Jan Grin

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:16:31 AM by JeEA » Logged
janvanvolt

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 03:37:23 PM »

Today I Think the drive died. Now it Will not boot from harddrive as it used to. Also I Can not Mount the drive anymore. Tried changing the scsi id, but no luck. I guess it's toast Cry

If anyone is interested I'll get rid of it for 100 euro. Shocked There is a seagate which Will Mount, but I Can not get the os on the harddrive. I have os on floppy Undecided

Cheers

you want to sell the HD or the IIIxp? If it's the latter, rethink ... there are SCSI to CF Adapters which work nicely and don't make any noise like harddisks.

JeEA

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 04:19:26 AM »

I'm going to try an extern disk of some sort hoping that I can have the OS there and perhaps the sounds as well.

I have a seagate that mounts no problem there, but I can not put the OS on that drive. Don't know why. Huh Huh Roll Eyes

I have a bank with one sound and I'll try to save it on the harddrive to see if that will work. I have OS on floppy...works fine, but it's nicer to have it all on HD.

Cheers
JeEA

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »

Hard drive will not except the bank. It does not show any sign of failure, but there is no bank on the HD. Huh Huh

Man that is strange
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »

Okay, let's put things clear. When you want to UPDATE a machine, you should always start by the HD and then, insert the floppy and install. This keeps your calibrations specific to your machine.
If you start from scratch, start with the floppy, insrall, save an empty banck, shut down for 2 minutes, and restart.
Your problemn maybe comes from a circuit on the processor board (the second one), a 40 pin right in front, named : NCR5380. Take it off, put it back, reinstall the board, and restart.

Tell us if it works or not.

JeEA

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 02:02:28 PM »

Hi
It works now however I Can not boot from the internal hd. I have tried the Way You described, but no luck. So I just boot from floppy and that works fine. I Can save and load sounds to the hd.

Br
Jens
Gul Dukat

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »

Interesting .... I have the same problem on my EMAXII. I gave up and do it meanwhile the way you also do: Boot with Floppy and then switch to the HDD and load the banks... I thought it was something wrong with the hard disk.
But recently I purchased a EIIIXP for a friend of mine. He wanted me to expand it with an internal HDD and load my library on it.
Setting up the HDD was no problem. I have now a built in HDD (SCSI ID2) and already save banks on it. Unfortunately I face now the same problem like on my EMAXII. Copying the software from the floppy boot disk to the HDD was successful. But I still can't boot from the HDD. It cycles through the SCSI devices and for a very short moment it shows "booting from SCSI-1" (The Hard drive!) but skips and scans the SCSI cycle. What can it be? Everything is fine except I can't boot from that device :-O Anyone an idea?

E-mu Emulator II+, E-mu Emulator III, E-mu Emax II Turbo, E-mu E6400 Ultra, E-mu Drumulator
JeEA

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 12:39:19 AM »

Have You found an answer yet? Shocked

I Still have this problem. Huh Huh Undecided

Cheers
Jens
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Hard drive problem

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines