E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emu II has died

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:10:40 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emu II has died
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Emu II has died  (Read 11079 times)
sneakyalien

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 09:33:32 AM »

Thanks for the replies,I will check some of the connections and cables etc.
I am starting to think this beast is screwed but I can't even think about sending her to the grave yard so i will keep at it until I get her working.
Thanks everyone for trying to help it is appreciated. X
sneakyalien

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 09:34:21 AM »

Hi Dr C.I am based in Preston Lancashire.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »

Far from Paris...
sneakyalien

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 09:29:58 AM »

One thing that really has me confused with the issues with my Emu is the Emu floppy drive will read and run the memory diagnostic disk and all the memory looks ok.
Does this mean the floppy drive and related electronics that controls the floppy is ok?
Does it also mean the boot eprom is ok?
Thanks
Steve.
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »

One thing that really has me confused with the issues with my Emu is the Emu floppy drive will read and run the memory diagnostic disk and all the memory looks ok.
Does this mean the floppy drive and related electronics that controls the floppy is ok?
Does it also mean the boot eprom is ok?
Thanks
Steve.

This sounds odd - it means that much of your EII is working fine.   Are you sure your boot disk is OK??   You do have a bootable floppy with a system on it?

Are you sure it's not just a case of your HD going dead and your trying to boot off a floppy with no valid system on it?

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
sneakyalien

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 11:41:21 PM »

Hi,yes I have been feeding the Emu floppy disks and have tried about 50 different disks that I know the emu used to boot from.
I do seem to remember that just before the emu died the floppy drive would not load disks it would get so far but not load them-when I put a floppy disk in now the heads dont move,the disk spins and the floppy led lights but I don't see the head move.
This has got me puzzled,its interesting though because I am learning loads about how this thing works which is good.
I am sure with all the advise it will become a functioning beast again.
Thanks,
Steve.
sneakyalien

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 01:17:36 AM »

Hi all,
I have just found a disk I bought from emulator archive and its an Emulator 3.1 HD operating system disk.
Here is what happens when I switch my Emu on with a floppy disk operating 31 system in the floppy drive:-

1) press power on switch-message of 'boot in progress' appears in lcd and you can hear hard disk spinning up to speed.

2  a message of 'Hard disk 20 3.1' is displayed in lcd(this message changes depending upon which floppy disk operating system is in the drive so if i put a 2.6 op system floppy in the drive  it will display 2.6 in the lcd.

3  hard drive makes the usual noises but not for as long as it should do during a normal boot from the hard drive-after about 3 grunts the led on the hard drive stops.

4) led just stays illuminated on the floppy drive and no sound is emmited from the floppy drive because i don't think the read write heads are moving in the drive.

5) system just stays in that state.

If I try to boot without a floppy disk in the drive what happens is this:-

1) power on-message of 'boot in progress' in lcd,you can hear the hard drive grunting away as usual but again only for a short time , a message of insert diskette is displayed in the lcd and as soon as i put a diskette in a message of hard disk 20. 3.1 appears in the lcd this message changes depending upon which diskette I put in so if an 2.6 op system disk is put in it will display 2.6 in the lcd.

I am know utterly confused as to what is going on with this machine because it seems the floppy drive is reading some info off the floppy disk.

Does the above mean the scanner eprom and associated circuitry is ok-could it be a problem with the boot eprom?I have version 2.1 boot eprom on the board.

thanks for your help guys.
Steve.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emu II has died

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines