E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Should one first buy an EI or an EII?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:16:03 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  Should one first buy an EI or an EII?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Should one first buy an EI or an EII?  (Read 3752 times)
clark

« on: February 05, 2013, 05:30:41 AM »

I'm still kicking myself over missing out on buying a well-maintained EI, last year, for only $400.  I've also been waiting to match times when I have the extra money to buy an EII at a good price.

Now, I have a chance at another EI, but something tells me to wait.  I apologize in advance to the Emax supporters, but its sound doesn't do it for me.  I need to get my Emulator fix. 

But, should it first be an EI or an EII?   
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:32:12 AM »

EI is a pretty "simple" machine. It doesn't even compare to the Emax in any way. EII is very similar to Emax in lots of ways - though it sounds better and looks smarter.  Smiley
BUT - EI's a collectors item and gets rarer and rarer, so IF you NEED to own one, grab it as soon as you can  Undecided

P.S.: Emax got quite some features that I REALLY miss on EII - better transposition possibilities, more lfo options to name just a few...

If you want to make music primarily, I'd go for the EII first. then go hunting for an EI if you got even more GAS.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:33:55 AM by Elmbeatz » Logged
12bit

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »

I absolutely agree with Elmbeatz here.

If you're looking for a capable studio grade hardware sampler go for the EII.
If you're into history and collecting get the EI (which is in every way a fantastic machine but also - as Elmbeatz wrote - simple and not a first-go-to sampler in the studio :/)

KennethA
theEMUs.com

E-mu Systems Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, Emulator IIIXP, SP12 Turbo, E-mu Systems SP1200 (gray face), Drumulator + Pad Controller, Emax, Emax II, E6400 and E6400 Ultra + a lot of other synths/samplers.
clark

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »

Thanks for the replies. 

I already understood that the EI was super simple.  I should have clarified that I would be using the keyboard somewhat like a processor/effect black box--meaning, I would use other devices for much of the editing.  I'm primarily concerned with the EI's and the EII's sound signatures.  So, I'm curious about the differences in their warmth/grit/character and the quality of their respective filters.

But, the EI having very limited sample time concerns me, somewhat.
clark

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:22:23 PM »

Oh, and what should one expect to pay for an EI.  I've been watching EII prices for some years.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:39:34 AM »

The last EI I can recall was butt-ugly painted black and sat on ebay for ages. Seller wanted about 500 € for it I think. I remember another one from france in quite good condition (even longer ago maybe 4 or 5 years)  which went for 1000 € iirc...
ahaigh01

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »

There's an EI on ebay right now...
12bit

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 02:48:20 PM »

There's an EI on ebay right now...

Well. It only has one voice board installed - no wonder not all the voices work :-)
But maybe it is a rare 4 voice version. As far as I know only a few were made. I mean; the cabling in the one for sale looks like it is only supposed to support one voice board - weird. Or maybe it's just well done.

No matter the reason it is only a four voice version.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281057833372&globalID=EBAY-US

KennethA
theEMUs.com

E-mu Systems Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, Emulator IIIXP, SP12 Turbo, E-mu Systems SP1200 (gray face), Drumulator + Pad Controller, Emax, Emax II, E6400 and E6400 Ultra + a lot of other synths/samplers.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Should one first buy an EI or an EII?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines