E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMuSer problems with Emax I

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:03:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EMuSer problems with Emax I
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: EMuSer problems with Emax I  (Read 10889 times)
lunatic

« on: February 15, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »

First of all, my EMuSer works fine, no issues with my EII. Second, the cable is fine as well. Third: It worked fine some days ago.

Now my problem is: when uploading a bank, the floppy works but no progress in EMXP yet. Then I get the following error: "Communication failure. the sampler doesn't give the expected SYSEX response. Response is 0 0 0 0 (or sometimes F0 7E 0 7D/F), Expected Response is F0 7E 0 7E. After this the EMAX becomes unresponsive to EMXP, meaing, when trying to upload another bank, it will not try to load software, but simply do nothing. When i turn it off and on is trying to load from disk for another time, then again no disk activity anymore. Loading from & saving to disk works fine

Tried with / without midi connection, other banks, cleaning contacts and so on. As well it will fail with a similar message when unloading sounds.

Ideas anyone?

E-mu Emulator II + HD, E-mu EMAX, E-mu SP-12, E-mu Esi 32, Dynacord ADD-one + ADD-drive, Simmons Clap Trap, Moog Slim Phatty, Juno 106, OB Matrix 6R, OTO Biscuit
dlortsher

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »

Are you launching the application before you power up the Emax? I was having the same problem before I started following this start up sequence.
lunatic

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »

Never had any issues either way, but i'll try what you suggested, thanks!

E-mu Emulator II + HD, E-mu EMAX, E-mu SP-12, E-mu Esi 32, Dynacord ADD-one + ADD-drive, Simmons Clap Trap, Moog Slim Phatty, Juno 106, OB Matrix 6R, OTO Biscuit
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »

You will probably have to try some other communication settings.
Especially the preferences that are underlined in the EMXP manual may need some change in specific situations, but also the PC RS422 port timeouts. If you would have ever changed any of these already, it would be a good idea to start from the default settings again (they are mentioned when you change a setting).
lunatic

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 05:13:23 AM »

Thanks esynthesist. it was working great until i moved the emax in the studio. It did just with the standard settings. I did try with other settings and have seen that the suggestions are the default values. I tried with most settings, but no success. Since the reply always is 0 0 0 0, i think maybe there is sth. wrong with the cable, event though it is not old and all the soldering on the plugs is fine.

lunatic

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 09:35:54 AM »

I tried some other start up sequences, but it stays the same Sad The disk drives starts to load, but then aborts. After one attempt, i have to reboot the emax, to even get it to try loading... I tried many different settings, but as said it was working before. I will now try reseating chips. Any idea which chips could be the cause? Apart from this the Emax works totally fine...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:51:04 PM by lunatic » Logged

lunatic

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »

Ok, so I had success a few times.I could repeat it with these settings:

09. - 17 / 10. - 250 / 11. - 1250 This would get it working every 9th time
09. - 25 / 10. - 250 / 11. - 1250 This would get it working every 5th time and then it worked continuously for 6 times until i quit EMXP. I opened it again and could only get it to work once. The settings are still the same. The strange thing is that it works sometimes and sometimes not with the same settings.

When trying to unload a bank, i also get error 1048. The Emax displays: "Aborted -bad ACK for Packet #0226"

lunatic

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »

Could someone point me in the right direction which settings to mess with or which one to change first? It really seems to be random and i tried a lot. Form time to time it works, but all in all it's one out of 50 tries. It even worked with "Maximum Retry Count for opening RSS 422 Port" set to 1000 the first time, then it didn't work 36 times afterwards, then again... I'm sitting here pressing 1,1,ent,ent for hours and am not getting futher... Huh

PS: Midi & Midi unload work fine.

esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »

That's all very strange.
Did you change something at computer side ? Antivirus software (if it's one protecting serial ports) ?

Anyway, I think we should investigate this a bit more in detail - as far as this will be possible.
I will send you a special edition of EMXP which contains a logging feature.
Check your PM box.
lunatic

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 04:17:04 AM »

So, good news and bad news. The EMuSer works fine with another Emax. I have so far tested everything on the computer side: driver, cables, firmware, other PC. So it comes down to the Emax itself. Midi works fine, so i guess the chip is ok. As said transfers work from time to time. What would be your suggestions to try next?

krikorola

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 05:19:38 AM »

Hi

i'm having the same issue.
Emuser transfert won't work.
i'm getting the same message on the PC.
On the Emax i get Bad Ack for Packet #0000 wthen trying to do a midi transfert.
On the EMXP i get error 1048, the emax dosen't give the expected SYSEX, Response is 0 0 0 0, expected is F0 7E 0 7E

All transfert (EMUSER & MIDI in OSX via DSPQuattro) are failing with all Emax Os except with the original OSv3.2 via midi in DSPquattro.

Did you find what is could be the problem?
Best
K
lunatic

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 06:14:02 AM »

With my Emax it definitely is the RS 422 port. It seems to be a cold solder joint. I will let you guys know once i have it back from repairs.

krikorola

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 06:47:46 AM »

thank you.
i'm gonna look into that, but as midi transfer is also not working right, i'm gonna check the IC8 and the other ones around on mine, those are cheap part.
krikorola

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 03:01:30 AM »

With my Emax it definitely is the RS 422 port. It seems to be a cold solder joint. I will let you guys know once i have it back from repairs.

Hi
did the repair fix the problem?
i have changed the 6850, no luck, i'm gonna look onto other parts that might be responsible...
Best
K
lunatic

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 08:49:02 AM »

The test by my repair guy showed that the RS422 port works just fine. Next step is to go there with the EMuSer. This really is a strange and annoying problem  Undecided

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMuSer problems with Emax I

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines