E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Kryoflux imaging of EII disks

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:42:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  Kryoflux imaging of EII disks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Kryoflux imaging of EII disks  (Read 6142 times)
kdk

« on: March 06, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »

I've been trying to get EII floppy disks converted with the Kryoflux and I'm not having luck at this point...

Kryoflux looks like it's working -
I'm using a Teac FD-55GFR-7193U drive.
Issuing the command "dtc -c2" to the Kryoflux returns "maxtrack=83".

I'm using the Kryoflux GUI with the following settings:
Image Profile set to "Emu II sector image" with "img" set as the file extension and all the default settings for the check boxes set.
On the Advanced tab, Max Track, Drive 0 is set to 83.

Fron the Control panel of the GUI, I enter a file name, "Emu II sector Image" is showing the the drop down, and then I press the Start button and it begins to image the disk. This all proceeds appearantly well, and it shows that 168 tracks were read, 160 of them "good" and 8 "unknown". The RPM is at 359.95 generally for all the tracks.

I take this all to mean that the Kryoflux has imaged the disk and all went well. The file that is created shows as being 560KB in size, and has an .img extension.

To get them into the HxC, I then take the files and convert the extension from .img to .EII using CKRename so now I have the images with the .EII extension.

I then put a Rev 3.1 OS emuios.emuifd file (from the EMXP site) into the same directory as the images I just made with the Kryoflux. I then run the HxC software and batch convert the files from the directory they reside on my PC to the SD card. The SD card is 8Gigs and is known to work in the EII already. HxC software runs fine and the .HFE file appear on the SD card.

I put the SD card into the EII and I can load in disk images that were made by other people and they work great, but when I try to load the images I just made with Kryoflux, the display on the EII shows garbled text and is non-functional/locked up.

I'm guessing the disk image is the issue in all this.

Any suggestions on what to try??

Thanks -
Kirk
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 02:54:17 PM »

I'm not sure if it really matters for the HxC, but these 560K files are not .EII files, they are .EMUIIFD files.
As a result of creating them from original EII floppy disks with the Kryoflux, they should already contain an OS (the one from the floppy disk). So you can simply change the .IMG extension into .EMUIIFD and convert them with the HxC software (make sure to set the SD floppy interface parameter to Emu Shugart).

If this doesn't work neither, feel free to send me one of those 560K and I will have a quick HEX look at it to see if they are OK.
kdk

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »

E-

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

I'll give that a try and get back soon with results!

Kirk
kdk

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:15:05 PM »

A bit off topic to my original post - but I can't get anything to download from the HxC site.

The download link from the HxC site for the latest version doesn't work for me:
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/HxCFloppyEmulator_soft.zip

Same for the prerelease version:
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/HxCFloppyEmulator_softV2_beta.zip

Or the... well, I could go on, but none of the links I've tried work. My browser says they are all broken.

Kirk
kdk

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »

OK - someone must had read that last post at the HxC site as all those links in the download section at HxC now work.
kdk

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:15:46 AM »

I'm not sure if it really matters for the HxC, but these 560K files are not .EII files, they are .EMUIIFD files.

It looks like having the the extension ".EII" was the problem. I set up Kryoflux to save the image with the ".EMUIIFD" extension, run them through the HxC software, and now the .HFE files on the SD card load into the EII and play just fine!

Thank you, esynthesist!

I only had time to convert 4 floppies. Of the 4 .HFE images I made, 3 of them worked fine, the 4th one doesns't load. If I select that file on the HxC emulator, then press "Disk" and then "1" on the EII, the display on the EII shows "Insert Perf Disk and Press Enter" and the LED next to the Enter button starts to flash. When I press the Enter button on the EII, the right LED on the HxC light for a moment, and then it goes out, but the image does not load.

If you'd like to look at the EMUIIFD file, you should be able to download it here:
http://www.synthroom.com/hidden/Football_NFL3_More_Hits_1.EMUIIFD

I suppose there could be an issue with the floppy disk - I've not loaded this disk into the EII directly. It's a disk that I bought a couple years ago and I'm finally got stuff together to make images.

THanks again!

Kirk

esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »

Hi

I don't think there's anything wrong with this EMUIIFD image.
But it's not a performance disk, it's a library disk.
So it only contains a set of voices, which can be imported in any preset with function 11.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Kryoflux imaging of EII disks

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines