E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - My new EII - some problems - need you help!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:26:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  My new EII - some problems - need you help!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: My new EII - some problems - need you help!  (Read 12191 times)
Freddy

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »

No, I tried 10 different ones. They are ok....  Huh
kdk

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 12:42:07 PM »

Do you have two floppy drives? If so, swap them so drive A is drive B and vice versa.

Also, make sure there isn't something obstructing your drive read/write head. I went to copy some disks recently with a Kryoflux and a drive and the drive would not work at first. There was a ribbon cable on the drive itself that had slipped down into the path of the read/write head and stopped the head from moving much past track 40 or so.

Kirk
Freddy

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »

Hi,
I just changged them, but still no change..

Thanks to you all for your help!
kdk

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »

Reseat the cable a few times where it connects to the mainboard?
kdk

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 02:04:05 PM »

The floppy drive cable, that is!
sllaci

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 02:32:38 PM »

Hello

+15V need audio section! 14.6V no problem.

Try another disc! Another OS version.
And atray on which there is no sample banks.

If these do not help, you can be bad:
OS or scanner ROM
more logical IC...........

An oscilloscope is needed!
Many components and very much are times.
Or it is necessary to force it into a service.
Is there somebody, who repairs one like this, at you?
We are two people in Hungary:)

Laszlo
Freddy

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »

Hi Kirk!

Further Good News! I reseated the floppy cables a few times again aanndd suddenly it worked and the preset name could be seen in the display!

But more than that wasn't possible. I couldn't hear a sound (but a plop so the audio board isn't dead), but that's something to talk about later....

I guess I will have a closer look at the cables and the connectors. I have already ordered a bottle of isopropanol. Do you guys know the special names of the flat cables that are used in the EII because I'm not familiar with these things. I think I will and should replace them all...

Thanks to you all and especially to Kirk!

Btw... It did work only once that it fully started

Hi Laszlo,
Thanks for your answer! I'm optimistic that it isn't that bad. It's already fantastic we were able to repair thanks to you guys !!! I will have a closer look at the cables and clean some problematic contacts.
If I simply don't find a solution I think a have a few guys to contact.

Thank you!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:14:01 PM by Freddy » Logged
kdk

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »

Do you guys know the special names of the flat cables that are used in the EII because I'm not familiar with these things.

They are "ribbon cables" - or just plain "floppy drive cables". They are 34-pin  - similar to the 40-pin IDE cables used with old hard disks.

The ones in the EII are rather long - long enough that I've never been able to find premade ones that would reach the drives in an EII. You can buy ribbon and the 34-pin cable connectors and a tool to crimp the connectors on the cable for not a lot of money, but I've yet to make one. Also, keep in mind that the floppy cables have some of the wires "twisted" to address the drive A and B.
Freddy

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »

Hi,

ok after some extensive research I found these ones and they are long enough if I lay it over the analog board
http://www.ebay.de/itm/36-inch-Universal-Floppy-Drive-Ribbon-Cable-for-3-5-or-5-25in-Drives-FF-002-/390551711664?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item5aeeb22fb0

Can someone confirm if this one will work? Thanks, I'm not familiar to these kind of cables and their functionality!

BTW.: Can I use this one as a replacement LCD as mine is very dimmed and i heard somewhere that these work fine?: http://www.ebay.de/itm/2-stk-HD44780-1602-LCD-Display-Module-Anzeigen-2X16-Zeichen-blau-Rucklicht-Neu-/400423676443?pt=Bauteile&hash=item5d3b1c6a1b

Another thing; does anyone know a good slider or (radial) potentiometer replacement? Furthermore mine came only with one correct knob for the poti. Is there a source for a new one?

Thank you for your help!!!!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:39:01 PM by Freddy » Logged
kdk

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 01:47:51 PM »

Hi, ok after some extensive research I found these ones and they are long enough if I lay it over the analog board
http://www.ebay.de/itm/36-inch-Universal-Floppy-Drive-Ribbon-Cable-for-3-5-or-5-25in-Drives-FF-002-/390551711664?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item5aeeb22fb0
Can someone confirm if this one will work?

If you have only one drive, then that should work.

But it you have two drives, then the end of the cable will still reach the furthest drive, but the connections for the second drive will not reach.  The second drive uses one of the connections between the 21 inch and 11 inch lengths of the cable.
sllaci

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »

Hello

Floppy cable and LCD NOT compatible!!!

Laszlo

Freddy

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »

God , what a pain to find these simple spare parts ....

Well concerning the cable: The direct distance between the first floppy drive and the mainboard connector is ~20 inch, I could imagine that it works... maybe...it is described that the distance between the first two connectors is 23 inch...
If it works principally then I think I will give it a try..

Or do you know someone who can build these cables?

What's wrong about the display? Here someone says that it works with his SP12 (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/544454-emu-sp12-display-replacement.html)
sllaci

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 02:41:31 PM »

Hello

The LCD size is not good!
Correct size: 84x44x12mm
( I have mor piece  Grin )

You can easily build the cable!
I have made ​​this before Smiley

Laszlo
Freddy

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »

Ok, I just ordered the parts though I'm sceptical that it will solve the problem. At least ta cable damage can be excluded then
Just in case it won't solve the problem. What should I check next?

Which new display do you recommend? I would like to keep the original style (blue backlight)
Freddy

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 08:06:48 AM »

I just came from building a new cable, but obviosuly that didn't help. I would say in one of 20 times the sampler entered the "Main Menu" displaying something like "Preset 00 - DISK READ ERROR".

Any ideas what causes the problem? What should I try to do next?

Thank you very much!
Best regards!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - My new EII - some problems - need you help!

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines