E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - P2002 software

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:16:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  P2002 software
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: P2002 software  (Read 9966 times)
PX-7
« on: April 18, 2009, 11:24:11 PM »

I think i'm gonna snag the 2002 after all just for now, until I can score
an Emax 1 rack, and then an EII.

Did anyone make a file converter (chicken systems?) or a midi editor
for this beast?   With the DP4+ and the 2002, I think I will be spending many past
midnight evenings, trying to master these units.   Atleast my tones will
be thick and hopefully... I bring sexy back in my studio a little bit with
real samplers vs.  Kontakt and Ableton and Emulator X2.   Incredible
features, but they're soul less and lack emotion.   Thin too.

I need dirty and hissy warmth in my setup again. 

Does anyone know?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:26:03 PM by PX-7 » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:30:36 AM »

p2002 instead of EII?!?
hm.
Escobar

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:42:13 AM »

And slowly the whole forum started - without anyone notice - to change into a forum for SCI samplers...
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Wink Cheesy

PX-7
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 01:25:22 PM »

Trust me, I want an EII more than anything, but I think I lost the lead I had on one.

I'm going to call Wine County and ask those cats if they ever heard of a .wave to
Prophet 2000/2002 conversion program and a software editor.

Also, does anyone have a sysex implementation template for the 2002?   I have a guy
who can build me sick templates for a Mackie C4 Pro.   Hopefully you know what that is
and it's damage that beast can do.   Grin
PX-7
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 04:09:47 PM »

No word yet from Wine Country.  I talked to the lady that answers the phone
and she tried to bump me off and say there is no software support.  I'm waiting
to hear back from Dave over there via email.  Hopefully he responds.

Actually I found this stuff out on my own, and i'm surprised really.

http://www.soundofmusic.se/files/sample_dump.htm

* Propellerheads Recycle supports MIDI sysex dump for Prophet 2000/2002
    * Sound Designer for Prophet 2000 (Mac - Classic mode )

Interesting.  I thought there was nothing out there.   It's old and archaic but so
is the 2002.    When I don't find the answer to stuff like that i'm stoked on, I just gotta know.

It would probably be easier to just learn the unit regular first and then graduate to software.

Wish me luck.  The unit "seems" like a pain in the rear end to learn and use though. 

Escobar

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:54:28 AM »

I bought the P2000 that's pictured on that site (SoundOfMusic) (another piece of meaningless info)  Wink Cheesy Grin Tongue

The most common misstake people do when they try out P2000/2 for the first time is the matrix layout of the front panel buttons, you have to press the row and column buttons to get the right function and not the coloured square text! As you say PX-7 it's very minimalistic interface layout so you have to spend some time to get used to it. One possitive "feature" is that you have 12 presets downloaded from internal ROM at startup, so you can go on and start playing rightaway. No need for diskloading at that point.
The worst thing on the sampler is the two digit display! The achronyms are hard to read and sometimes it says the same thing but means two different things! You have to remember in what menu you are and what you're trying to accomplish.

PX-7
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 04:35:24 AM »

woah, that's scary.   Reminds me of the Genoqs Octopus.   $4k's worth of un-userfriendly slop.
No LCD!  I never knew where I was.  I wish I had that kind of scratch these days.    The Emu sequencer was a like a Big Gulp of fresh air.  I'm never lost on that joint.   Scraping up the cheese these days is like
almost impossible.    Hence my lack of an EII.    Boooooo! Tongue

Escobar,  do you have any suggestions?  Should I just skip 2002? and go for the Emax 1 rack?
I had the S950 and that thing was boring.   Flat and lifeless.    I sold an SP-1200 last year and I kinda regret
it, but I got my money back out of it.  So no huge love loss on that bit.    But man, that beast was dirty,
and so forth.  As you know.   

The one that stokes me about the 2002 and the Emax is the ability to downsample.  Am I correct?

I want to make snares sound like ping pong balls.  Are you familiar with that sound?   I love that.

Or should I get a Mirage rack???  HA!!   I had a couple last year and off'd them as the navigation was pure poo.   I would be willing to try them again though with like the Sound Diver or Midi Quest editor.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:37:43 AM by PX-7 » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 05:49:24 AM »

IIRC a standard Emax-I cannot downsample....  (it's been a long time....) 
Escobar

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 07:37:35 AM »

As Elmbeatz says, you cannot downsample any of them. You do have a choice of sample rate though on both Emax and Prophet 2000/2, which are:

16kHz, 31kHz, and 42kHz.

If you're looking for a sound as close as possible to Emulator II I would go for Emax 1, since it's made by the same company and it's considered as 'one-chip' uppgrade version of Emulator II.
Emax interface are more intuitive and easier to learn. With that said, P2002 isn't a bad sampler soundwise but the interface is a bit harder to grasp, because of the lousy 'display'. It has all menus written at the front panel in a matrix form layout with buttons at left side in a column and at the bottom of the matrix in a row.

When you sample with P2002 and you want to adjust the sample input level you make use of the bottom row buttons that also have red light diodes on them as a peak-level indicator. I belive that P2000/2 also are the only sampler from that time with automatic zero point loop finder (did that make sence?) to create glitch free loops.

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 07:48:43 AM »

You CAN downsample with an Emax SE though. (There's no problem in upgrading a standard emax to SE as it's a software based upgrade).
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 07:57:18 AM »

... I belive that P2000/2 also are the only sampler from that time with automatic zero point loop finder (did that make sence?) to create glitch free loops.

You mean "Auto-Loop" ?

Well, both, EII and Emax are able to do this, too.
PX-7
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 01:55:31 PM »

Wine Country's response on the 2002's software compatibility.

Hi James,

In 1985/1986 Digidesign created an editing software program for the very early Macintosh computer and the Prophet 2000 called SoundDesigner 2000. The Prophet 2000 was the first sampler to use MIDI Sample Dump Standard, and Digidesign took advantage of this MSDS feature unique to the Prophet 2000 at that time.  If you were to locate and acquire a dopy of SoundDesigner 2000, you will also require a Macintosh of the mid-1980s.

Sorry we can't help you any further, best of luck with your music.

Kind regards,
WCP Inc.
Escobar

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »

Quote from: Elmbeatz
You mean "Auto-Loop" ?

No, I mean finding loop-points where the amplitude is zero (=no sound) and automatically step between the zero amplitude points until you find a loop to your satisfaction.
To do the same thing with other samplers you have to do it with aid of computers with software like Sound Designer.

HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »

Quote from: Elmbeatz
You mean "Auto-Loop" ?

No, I mean finding loop-points where the amplitude is zero (=no sound) and automatically step between the zero amplitude points until you find a loop to your satisfaction.
To do the same thing with other samplers you have to do it with aid of computers with software like Sound Designer.

I have both EII and P2002 in the studio and they are very different beasts IMHO - the SCI has mad filters that go into crazy self oscillation and the whole thing lends itself to off the wall sounds.  The EII is far more of an instrument - it's filters are very warm and musical but not off the wall and don't go into self oscillation anything like as easly.  The EII just makes everything sound so nice.   The two are in my studio for different reasons.

If you can't afford an EII then definitely get an EMAX I SE - in many ways it's actually better spec ie. 3.5" drives, SCSI option, more reliable, lighter, etc.... it just doesn't have quite the legacy the EII does.  Some also say that it doesn't sound quite as warm as EII.

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 04:18:26 AM »

Some also say that it doesn't sound quite as warm as EII.

That IS true.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - P2002 software

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines