E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII Repeatedly Tries To Access Drives

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:04:58 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EII Repeatedly Tries To Access Drives
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EII Repeatedly Tries To Access Drives  (Read 2812 times)
who

« on: March 20, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »

Hi,

I got my EII back from the shop and it worked fine for weeks, then one day I come home and it was repeatedly trying to access both drives (HXC and 5.25).  When I say repeatedly, I mean many times a second.  (It was happening so fast that the LCD couldn't keep up.)

Any ideas what might be wrong?

who

who

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:14:48 PM »

So, I got an opportunity to open my EII and found the following:

1. The drives exhibit the same behavior even if the IDE cable is disconnected from both drives
2. one of the components on the power supply board is buzzing clicking at the same rate the drives are engaging.  (I couldn't hear it until I removed the top.)
who

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »

Replaced the power supply, replaced the IDE cable and reseated all ICs and the problem seems to be gone.  (fingers crossed)
modmaker

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 02:50:48 PM »

I can confirm the same.
After some good use, the machine refused to boot one day and as you descibe, accesses the drive constantly.

I tried disconnecting the floppy cable (last time it happened a connector on the floppy cable was broken, probably shorting), but I got the same result.
Then I tested connecting the HxC to an external powersupply (an older Dell Optiplex on the side (but not as old as the EII  Wink  )) and the machine boots fine and stays stable.

At 5+ I had:
Dellpowered: 5,10v
EII-powered: 4,46v

HxC doesn't use 12 volt, so, it sounding like a small machinegun, was related to being fed too low voltage on 5+.
Fixed, and back in business.   Cheesy

Like our good Dr.C says: These machines are choosy on what power they are fed.

EII, EIIIxp, Proteus/1, EIVk, ESI-2000, E5000, E4XT
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII Repeatedly Tries To Access Drives

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines