E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - E2 Floppy Drive and other issues.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:00:13 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  E2 Floppy Drive and other issues.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: E2 Floppy Drive and other issues.  (Read 3930 times)
E2USER

« on: April 26, 2009, 05:07:50 PM »

Hello,

First time caller long time user.

To the point - I'm in the process of doing a referbish of my E2+. It's kinda shabby and works only some of the time.

The second drive does not work. It hasn't since I've owned it (1999).

I'd like to know if a DS/DD floppy drive i puled from a IBM 8080 computer from 1984 would work with my E2?

Also- What company has a replacment backlight. Anyone have a website handy?

Another issue is noise at the audio output. Let me discribe: Sounds like faint clock timing and transant computer tones. I'd like to get rid of this. Thoughts?

Right now the unit is all apart in my home shop. It's my prized possession. I will keep it forever, hopefully in working condition.

I've got other questions. This is enough for now.

BTW- My floppy collection is 250 original and copied diskettes. What's yours?

E2USER/CC
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:49:01 PM »

Hi,

Is the drive totally dead, or is it spinning, lighting the LEDs, doing someting ?

The backlight is interfgared to the display. Find another display (same), put its backlight into this one. Precautious, but easy to do.

Pfff... ALL channels ? After the sample when you keep the key pressed ?

BE SPECIFIC !!!!!

E2USER

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:19:10 AM »

Hey,

Thanks for the quick responce.

Drive- Not dead. The amber LED blinks two times then stops when activating the load sequence. No spinning but I can hear the stepper motor engage twice in unison with the LED. Can't remember what the display indicator says.
'Drive not ready' maybe? I'll find out later once it's back together.

Backlight- Thanks for the tip. Gonna be tough finding replacment.

Audio- Main output. Noise problem with no sample loaded and noise with sample loaded. Again, sounds like faint clock timing. Keys not need to be pressed. Noise is constant at Main Output.

BTW- Once I opened the unit. I found half the PCB screws that bolt to the chassis missing! The prevous owner had his dirty hands in it. I'm repalcing these.
Also the main power supply molex connector could use replacing. The housing around one of the 8 pins is brown. (HEAT)
I'll try and clean it up best I can. If no part number replacment. Digi-Key Corp is a good supplier for electronics. I'll look later.

I'm preying it powers up OK once I have it back together.
Sweating
E2USER/CC

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:01:36 PM »

Pfffff Does the damn machine boot or not !

My goodness, its a hard delivery, uh ?  Grin
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 01:48:57 AM »

If you're in the U.S., here's a backlight source:

http://www.forat.com/service/##SP1200
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:23:33 AM »

My goodness .... okay ....

Shut the macine, UNPLUG IT FROM MAINS, open it, take away the power supply.

Look under : you will see that where the brown is on your Molex connector (its the 5V, yellow wire, uh ? Smiley) the solder is crackeled.
Take away this solder with a solder pump, use a blade to scratch away some varnish out of the PCB to have a bigger surface of contact with the soldering, reolder the connector and use a bunch of solder. Be carefull not to put too much solder because it may get in contact with the plate when you put back the PSU in place on its bracket.
Clean the connector pins and the female one, put the PSU back in place (do'nt forget to put the voltage swich wires as well), verify whant you did, and let me know.
If you want, before doing the mod, put here a clean picture of the solering side of the connector, I will modify and put legends to it, and put it back here.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - E2 Floppy Drive and other issues.

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines