E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Looking for EIII CPU Board

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:39:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Looking for EIII CPU Board
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Looking for EIII CPU Board  (Read 11956 times)
Gul Dukat

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 12:49:52 AM »

Thanks Niko ! And welcome to the great Emulator Forum  Cool

E-mu Emulator II+, E-mu Emulator III, E-mu Emax II Turbo, E-mu E6400 Ultra, E-mu Drumulator
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 02:08:19 AM »

Hi Nico,

Can you please put all this shit back in place ?   Cheesy
If you take the boards out, this machine will NEVER start, at least because alle the management memory ids in the microcontroler board (the top one).

If I unedersatnd well, the PSU is ok, when you power up, the disk starts to run anc licks like normal, but the display stays blank, having squares when the contrast is at maximum.

Didi you check the second SCSI cable, the one going to the external SCSI plug ? Is it burned, maybe (that's a great "classical" shit) ?

Verify all teh flat cables (going to te right place and well positionned) try with another disk, cahnge the damn HCT240 (if I remember well, unless its a HCT244)
Nikolaus Riehm

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 09:59:50 AM »

If I unedersatnd well, the PSU is ok, when you power up, the disk starts to run anc licks like normal, but the display stays blank, having squares when the contrast is at maximum.

No, it's completly dead - no disc access and all LEDs are off. The HCT240 is only a driver for FDC command lines and the MIDI thru and it'll therfor only cure floppy related errors.

But I revealed one major fault: the boot EPROMs were dead and completely filled/erased with FFs. I burned new ones from binaries Matt sent me along with the EIII (a download from this forum site: http://eiiiforum.com/eiii.zip). I dont't know which version of boot loader they are. I replaced one of the address muxes (S158) and one CS demux (LS138) because of obviously high load on the CPU bus due to the LS and S types and the signals look quite good now with HCT equivalents. But the EIII is still doing nothing. Only CS signals for the boot proms and the LCD are generated, all others remain high without any activity (even the scanner MPU gets nothing on its NMI line).

The clock generator and the FPU of the NS32016 triumvirate get realy hot but I think this is normal for those kind of circuits. The NS32016 itself seems to be good, all signals are in a shape of making sense (beside some glitches on the high byte of the multiplexed address/data bus but I think this is attributet to the demultiplexing).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:50:57 PM by Nikolaus Riehm » Logged

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »

I didn't talk about disk access, I just asked if the disk starts spinning and doing its job withits own controler board, wich means takin the heads off the parking place.
Nikolaus Riehm

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »

I didn't talk about disk access, I just asked if the disk starts spinning and doing its job with its own controler board, wich means takin the heads off the parking place.
That's what I meant with disc access  Wink  Thus: no spinning, no motor activity, nothing. The HDD is inoperable, too. My thought on this was that it's waiting for a SCSI start command that never comes because the CPU never starts up to this point.

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 03:38:11 PM »

Can you please put another disk, a SCSI disk, any kind of, preferably an old Quantum, and try to start the Emu, please ?
recoil

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »

Hi!
similar issue here.
in my case i just have a blank screen. no contrast function responding.
buttons don`t work only two of them are lighted (edit and digital processing).
changed the scsi HD and spins fine
no lights in the floppy drive
psu is ok

what should i replace or test now?.

there is just one cable disconnected: digital connector to the external scsi.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Looking for EIII CPU Board

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines