E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Dynamix II EIII Restoration Project

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:03:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Dynamix II EIII Restoration Project
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Dynamix II EIII Restoration Project  (Read 13709 times)
powmax

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 11:55:22 AM »

No luck, it powers up and lights come on but its locked up and nothing i press has any affect.

Okay - just wanna make sure it's not SCSI related. (this happens - if the booting device lose scsi connection or power down)

Well if you are on the bright side of life - it might be just the ribbon cable !!!

After you have reanimated your machine to a base level the fun part starts over... searching for bad or dead voices, replacing faulty BB PCM51 chips, replacing ribbon cables & connectors, cleaning contacts, fine tune recalibration sessions, a.s.o....

But then the sun is going to shine again Smiley

Good luck and i'll keep my fingers crossed !
marcus

djscratchd

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »

im going to get a new ribbon cable and a new Rectangular Cable Assemblies > C1PXS-6036G from digikey http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=C1PXS-6036G-ND  and report back.

Thanks !!

The sleeper must awaken......
djscratchd

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »

Courtesy of  this form's member ddvdave I have a part number for the EIII replacement switches

Digikey, P/N: EG2548-ND     I am still on the hunt for the black button cap anyone have a source?

who

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 06:27:08 PM »

Thanks to member lio.ws, the part includes both the connector and the cable:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=C1PXS-6036G-ND

I have both the OLED and CF mods in my EIII and can confirm both work.
djscratchd

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »

Found the reason why the front buttons sat a little bit low

Seems that these 3 standoff bolts are not attached to the underside of the face panel so maybe I can find an epoxy that can weld them into place nicely.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:44:30 PM by djscratchd » Logged

djscratchd

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 08:12:07 PM »

Shown below is where the ribbon connects to the underside of the front faceplate.

I'm wondering if there is a way to maybe re-pinch in the tiny forks that connect to the ribbon and figure out a way to clip the top of it to the bottom. Maybe I can find something to clamp the two pieces together.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:01:00 PM by djscratchd » Logged

djscratchd

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 04:03:52 PM »

Upon inspection of the ribbon cable that mounts to the underside of the front panel, I noticed that the everything looked fine except the top of the cable connector's sides that clipped it into place were broken off Sad

This left me with the challenge of how I could hold that top of the connector on firmly so that the cable would stay in it's place and not become detached from the assembly.

So I took a trip to the friendly neighborhood Home Depot store for a look around and this is what I came up with:

from the above part located in the electrical area I used a dremel tool and cut out the two parts which I will make into standoffs and epoxy to the board.

From the above cut out part I used the dremel to cut it down to size (just high enough so that its just under the height of the ribbon connector top) I made two of them.

The back piece I need to cut into a bar that will sit on top of the ribbon connector that will hold it into place. Its rigid enough that it should hold it down nicely.

I will now use some epoxy that I will mix and glue the two standoffs into place directly to the board.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:57:32 PM by djscratchd » Logged

powmax

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 04:57:31 AM »

Wow  Shocked - u have to clean or resolder those underneath contacts before going on further...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:06:55 AM by powmax » Logged
djscratchd

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 11:18:08 PM »

Here is the finished brace to secure the top of the ribbon cable cap firmly down on the ribbon.

I used epoxy to hold the bottom two sides down that the screws screw into.

Next I'm going to attempt to cut of the end and re use the cable if it doesn't work ill purchase a new cable and try that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:58:39 PM by djscratchd » Logged

djscratchd

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »

Shown above ^^^  the standoffs that were detached from the board just got epoxied back into place.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:59:16 PM by djscratchd » Logged

djscratchd

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 03:17:46 PM »

Burnt keys replaced!!!!!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:57:28 PM by djscratchd » Logged

djscratchd

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »

re: the brown ends that is just flux and is used at the factory. My tech tells me this is fine he will however be re-soldering in a new connector after all so in the process there will be a new one and the flux will be gone. Off to order a new connector and cable from Digikey

djscratchd

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »

Parts are on the way... I purchased the connector from Digikey and also snatched up the last remaining one that exists @ digikey Cheesy  Contact me if you need it.   

I also purchased the yellow lcd screen

cant wait to get the old beastie up and running !

djscratchd

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 09:50:02 PM »

With help of my old, and I mean old, friend Preston Smith the ribbon cable is soldiered to the controller board and also the new yellow display mod is in place. I turned it on and to my surprise.

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!

Next mod the SCSI to card reader, then yellow led mod and pitch wheels!

djscratchd

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 11:24:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Dynamix II EIII Restoration Project

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines