E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Installed SCM PCD-60B and AZTECMONSTER readers into my EMU III - SUCCESS !!!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:49:37 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Installed SCM PCD-60B and AZTECMONSTER readers into my EMU III - SUCCESS !!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Installed SCM PCD-60B and AZTECMONSTER readers into my EMU III - SUCCESS !!!  (Read 4675 times)
jazzyjoepass

« on: October 10, 2013, 03:14:07 AM »

Hi guys. I managed to replace both my internal SCSI harddisk and the floppy drive with SCM PCD-60B multi card reader and an Aztecmonster Stratos compactflash card reader.

Here's how I did it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some caveats first:

1. The EMU III seems to be only able to boot from SCSI ID #1 (internal SCSI harddrive) and the Floppy Drive.
2. The SCM PCD-60B reader doesn't support booting capabilities, so it is relegated to be used as an external removable drive. The Aztecmonster drive is used for booting the EMU and installed internally in place of the SCSI harddisk.
3. The EMU III also cannot access compactflash slot on the SCM PCD-60B, but compactflash cards inserted into the PCMCIA slot using PCMCIA to CF adapters is fine.
4. You will need to fabricate a new 50-pin SCSI cable and power cables for the extra drive - the floppy drive used a different set of cables.
5. Keep the SCSI cables short but long enough to just run to the SCM PCD60 reader.
6. Make sure the voltage from your power supply is stabilised and stays above 5V - mine was at 5.06V.

Settings on the readers:

1. Set SCM PCD-60B Multi reader drive SCSI ID to #4 ("Re/Wr Optical") and Terminate the drive - connect to the end of your 50-pin SCSI cable and install in place of floppy drive. You want to use this as a removable drive for all your compactflash cards. Note that the reader is slightly longer than the original floppy drive and needs to be placed ALL THE WAY back into the bracket.

2. Set AZTECMonster STRATOS drive to SCSI ID #1. Install internally and replace the internal SCSI hard drive. Use this drive to boot the system. Load all go-to samples and the EMU UST stuff into the compactflash that's going to be permanently inserted into this reader. (Note: Somehow there's typo errors on the ID settings on the manual - the table should be reversed. T is 1, 4 is 2 and vice versa.)

Cheers  Grin

Mike Foo
www.facebook.com/tritoneamplification   
kdk

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »

That's cool! Thanks for the info.
djscratchd

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »

Thanks! very helpful!!!!

The sleeper must awaken......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Installed SCM PCD-60B and AZTECMONSTER readers into my EMU III - SUCCESS !!!

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines