E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Blowing Fuses

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:55:28 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Blowing Fuses
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blowing Fuses  (Read 4090 times)
Jim Stout

« on: May 11, 2009, 10:38:21 AM »

So I just pulled my EII out of storage from my move to Austin.

I flipped the power switch on and it made a little pop sound and nothing happened  Shocked Shocked Shocked

So I opened it up see that the fuse has gone out on the PSU

I put in another 5A 250v fuse (fast acting) and it did the same thing.

any suggestions?

HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »

So I just pulled my EII out of storage from my move to Austin.

I flipped the power switch on and it made a little pop sound and nothing happened  Shocked Shocked Shocked

So I opened it up see that the fuse has gone out on the PSU

I put in another 5A 250v fuse (fast acting) and it did the same thing.

any suggestions?

Almost certainly your power supply - these are sadly very prone to failure with age.   It is fairly unlikely to be anything else.

The caps dry up due the amount of heat generated and eventually they go short circuit.    You really must get the PSU checked out before you try again because you run the risk of damaging your digital/analog pcbs.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:18:28 PM by HideawayStudio » Logged

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
Jim Stout

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »

That's what I figured...

Anybody know where I can send this power supply to be check out?

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »

Just buy anotehr one, new. It will be cheaper ! Look on the net by taking the reference on the transformer
HideawayStudio

Hideaway Studio

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 12:25:12 PM »

Just buy anotehr one, new. It will be cheaper ! Look on the net by taking the reference on the transformer

I'm pretty sure this PSU has been out of production for years.   I'd be tempted to send it off to a TV repair shop for testing/repair - it's easily within their capability.

I am looking into sourcing an modern universal PSU to replace the old PSU - there is nothing special about the EII PSU it's just that there are quite a few rails and this will almost certainly require two PSU's mounted on the same chassis plate - one for the computer and one for the analog output stages.  The good news is that this is very feasible as modern SMPSUs are MUCH smaller than their old counterparts due to higher chopper frequencies making the magnetics so much smaller.  I should have something in place by the end of the year for sale to other EII owners.

EII+, EIIIXP, EMAX II Turbo.  Electronic Design Engineer and Collector/Restorer of Vintage Music Gear
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 01:59:49 PM »

Another advantage : if you power the original E2 PSU without a load, it will BLOW and DIE.

If you do this with a modern one, it whistles, you just have to shut it down and verify the connectors. They are as well protected against shorts at the output, and las but not least, swich automaticaly 200/110V

Swell, uh ?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Blowing Fuses

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines