E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HxC floppy emulator and other stuff

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:18:48 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  HxC floppy emulator and other stuff
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HxC floppy emulator and other stuff  (Read 5837 times)
danielb

« on: November 15, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »

Hi all,

The HxC floppy emulator is in and working. It really puts the EII on a whole new level of usability.

There are some pictures of the installation process here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6vfv39tys683le2/K0fFbB_wlR

I also cleaned up most the its buttons using a method similar to that detailed by someone elsewhere on this forum. I took each button apart by levering out the cover with a small screwdriver, and then cleaned the contacts with a q-tip soaked in contact cleaner, and a wooden toothpick. I also cleaned the dome cover with contact cleaner. The difference is huge. Previously unresponsive buttons only need a light touch to work now.

Another minor triumph is that I managed to import a WAV file with EMXP and play it on the Emulator II - this makes up for the technical problem that stops it sampling once its warmed up. I still have no idea why it does this.

I must say I'm quite surprised at the sound of the Emulator II. It's MUCH more hifi that I expected it to be. It really doesn't sound like an 8-bit sampler, or even a 12-bit one. I might get excommunicated for this, but, apart from its magnificent analogue filter, it really doesn't sound all that different to my Emax II.  Shocked

Anyway, now that I've had a few hours of quality time with the EII and its sound libraries, I think I'm in love...

D.
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »

and ! I think that your EII is compatible with a macintosh!

But it missing some memory ram on the digital board?

How long can you sample?

Wondering if mine has an EII mémory upgrade. I have an extension mémory board  Huh

2 hands with 10 fingers
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »

How long can you sample?

Wondering if mine has an EII mémory upgrade. I have an extension mémory board  Huh

Maybe you're talking of the of the so called "piggy back" board?
E-Mu used to install an additional ram board (with less capable ics) in earlier eIIs before switching to bigger chips.

There is no ram extension for the eII exept for the additional ram installed in EII+ models.

Anyway -  this didn't mean more sampling time - instead it gave you the option to load two banks into the EIIs ram (which can then be toggled, NOT used parallel).

danielb

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »

How long can you sample?

Wondering if mine has an EII mémory upgrade. I have an extension mémory board  Huh

Yes, I was wondering about those empty sockets. Is that normal or am I missing some memory?

I haven't noticed any adverse effects. The EII says it has 17.6 seconds of sample time.

After trying it out quite extensively, everything seems to work except the sampling problem that I mentioned earlier. The leftmost slider has a problem staying in the lowest position and presumably needs cleaning or calibrating. Cleaning the buttons made a massive difference.

I do actually have 3 very elderly macs - a Mac Plus and a couple of Quadras - so I might try connecting the EII to one of them.

D.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:28:06 PM by danielb » Logged
Electro disco club

Sp 12 turbo / Emu II /

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:01:57 AM »

Good collection.

from dropbox, On picture N°7 , what kind of black connector is it?

2 hands with 10 fingers
danielb

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:56:28 AM »

This is the connector:

It works well and allowed me to use the original cable.

Since I took those pictures, I had a minor EII emergency: I turned it on one day and it failed to recognize the HxC emulator. It turned out that there is a fault in the original ribbon cable. I fixed it by connecting the lower rather than the upper connector. It works fine now but I will be replacing the cable with a new one eventually. This will also allow me to reconnect the floppy drive.

Apropos memory; I don't remember the exact number (I can't check it right now), but free memory is approx. 485000 bytes with no samples loaded.

D.

dfiorucci

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »

Hey where did you get that connector from?
Thanks,
Dana
danielb

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 02:04:22 AM »

Hi,

I only just noticed your question, so sorry about the delay in replying.

I got it from eBay. Here's another one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330434350599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

D.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HxC floppy emulator and other stuff

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines