E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HD boot problem

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:09:52 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax II Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  HD boot problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HD boot problem  (Read 6639 times)
brian_ronn

« on: March 17, 2014, 01:49:24 PM »

Hi Wizards

I have a strange HD boot problem with one of my Emax II.

I've specified the preferred boot ID should be 4 (the ID of the harddrive). The Emax II doesn't scan the scsi bus for bootable harddrives but try to boot from floppy only. Then the display says "Disk not formatted".

If I boot from floppy I'm able to format the HD and save and load banks but fails to boot.

If I install the same drive in my other Emax II then theres no problem booting from the HD.

Both Emax II run OS 2.14.

Do you know what this issue is about?

Best regards

Brian
Denmark
brian_ronn

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:13:46 AM »

Hi again

It seems like its the floppy drive which cause the HD boot problem.

If I disconnect the power to the floppy drive the Emax II boots from the HD.

Now I have to figure out why. The floppy drive is working booting and loading floppies. Maybe it's a jumper problem on the floppy drive.

The floppy drive is a Mitsubishi MF353BA-12U

You're welcome to chip in if you have anything to suggest.

Best regards

Brian
Denmark
brian_ronn

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:10:32 AM »

Hi again

I've tried to set the jumper for the MS (which has to be done for the TEAC drive) without success. Neither a jumper on MX does the trick.

Does anyone know the jumper settings for the Mitsubishi MF353BA-12U floppy drive?

Best regards

Brian
Denmark
brian_ronn

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »

Hi

Just to make an update.

I compared the jumper settings on the Mitsubishi floppy drive with an identical drive. All jumpers were in place.

I replaced the Mitsubishi floppy drive temporarely and by doing that I was able to boot up on the harddrive.

This tells me that something is wrong with the floppy drive other than the jumpers. The floppy drive itself is malfunctioning although the floppy drive can boot, load and save banks.

It's just strange that a floppy drive can deny the Emax II from booting on the HD!!!!

I've never had such a problem.

Over and out.  Wink

Best regards

Brian
Denmark
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HD boot problem

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines