E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Booting EIII from Jaz possible?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:35:22 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Booting EIII from Jaz possible?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Booting EIII from Jaz possible?  (Read 1992 times)
Ferric

« on: October 14, 2021, 12:05:21 PM »

Hello all!

I have EIII (keyboard version). I wonder if it's possible to boot EIII from an external Iomega Jaz drive? EIII can see the Jaz drive and banks on the Jaz disk but don't boot from it.
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 03:52:28 AM »

The EIII can only boot from its internal SCSI bus, if I'm not mistaken.
Ferric

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 01:16:24 PM »

The EIII can only boot from its internal SCSI bus, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for your reply. When EIII starts up, it scans the SCSI IDs and stops where Jaz's SCSI ID is when Jaz drive is connected. So EIII at least seems to scan the external SCSI bus at startup, too.

My EIII has firmware 1.0. Is it possible to update the firmware to a newer one somehow?
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 01:00:18 PM »

> My EIII has firmware 1.0. Is it possible to update the firmware to a newer one somehow?

You can start by replacing the boot EPROMS (IC 3,4) that hold the firmware with version 2.0. If you happen to have an EPROM burner you can make your own. You can find both EPROM images in the attached ZIP file.

I can't assure that they'll work on your EIII as is. It might be possible that you also need to change CS PAL (IC 27). In the EIII technical manual you'll find the different changes that happened during the existence of the EIII model.

* EIII eprom V2.0.zip (11.45 KB - downloaded 249 times.)
Ferric

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 12:02:57 PM »

Thank you for the info!

You can start by replacing the boot EPROMS (IC 3,4) that hold the firmware with version 2.0. If you happen to have an EPROM burner you can make your own. You can find both EPROM images in the attached ZIP file.

I can't assure that they'll work on your EIII as is. It might be possible that you also need to change CS PAL (IC 27). In the EIII technical manual you'll find the different changes that happened during the existence of the EIII model.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Booting EIII from Jaz possible?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines