E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII remote

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:24:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EIII remote
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EIII remote  (Read 7346 times)
ddvdave

« on: January 25, 2014, 09:19:09 PM »

I had a working copy of the Remote Controller App, but my old Mac power supply died  Embarrassed

Does anyone know the Sysex byte stream the EIII remote controller app sends when moving the data slider in the EIII remote app?

Does anyone still have a working copy of the App? I have come very far with my remote controller and would love the slider to work.

Thanks!

-Dave

P.S. Teaser screenshot:

Full window (will likely change layout):

Close-up of Load Bank:

Close-up of LFO edit:

micromoog

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:10:12 AM »

GREAT WORK so far!

would you share this if it is finished? Smiley

the slider sends 256 values, there are two strings from ... 0 (0-127) equal 0-127 - ...1 (0-127) equal 128-255

give me a few hours (maybe days) i will post the string

who

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »

Wow ddvdave, nice work!  Very Valhalla-ish and that's a good thing in my opinion.  (I find their UIs to be very intuitive.)
ddvdave

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:37:20 PM »

Thanks for the kudos!

And I figured out the SLIDER sysex messages this evening!! The opcode is 02 (0xf0 0x18 0x03 $ID 0x02 [0-127] [0/1 = MSB/LSB])!

Woohoo!

Found some new response messages from the EIII today, not sure what they do (0xf0 0x18 0x03 $ID 0x07 [VAL]). Also found that there are certain non-ASCII characters (like the "-1" in the note A-1), so I may have to get tricky and decode the binary "pixel map" that the EIII sends to the LCD display Smiley

I think I've opened the Pandora's Box here Smiley

-Dave
Freddy

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 01:52:53 AM »

I also wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your work!

Will this remote only be usable on older macs or also on new macs/pcs?
By the way, is there any possibility to dump wav samples via midi, if not, is there any chance that this could ever change?

Thanks and good luck for the future.
ddvdave

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »

Hi All,

In regards to running my editor on modern OS/hardware: Yes, that is my goal. I'm writing the editor in Max/MSP and Max programs ("patches") can be bundled with a free read-only Max "Player" which should enable all Macs/PCs to run the editor.

I hope to have a public beta of sorts in the next few days. Stay tuned!  Wink

-Dave
ddvdave

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 08:34:59 AM »

Regarding sample dumps, the EIII already supports the MIDI sample dump standard, so I guess the remote control/librarian could have a sample dump feature.

It really is a shame the EIII has the RS-422 port (and SCSI for that matter) and as far as I know neither can be used for (fast) sample dumps.

-Dave
ddvdave

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »

I just tested MIDI SDS transmit/receive using the Elektron App "C6", which does Sysex dumps and also MIDI Sample Dump Standard dumps.

I was able to take a sample from the EIII and save it as a WAV file, just using the C6 application from Elekton.

I'm not sure I have the time to put into writing another MIDI SDS reader/writer, but it may happen if and when I have time.

Also, the 1.4 second sample (@ 44053Hz rate) took about 3 minutes to transfer over MIDI. I'm not sure if using MIDI for sample dumps is realistic given how slow it is.

If someone wants to provide RS-422 hardware that works with the current Mac hardware, I'd be happy to wrap some code around it Smiley I know some people have had success with the Freddy's EmuSer device on the EII, but has it ever worked with the EIII?

-Dave
ddvdave

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 01:23:00 AM »

Well I'm half way towards having a Send and Receive sample option in my EIII remote (and now sample dump) Max app.

I have written an SDS receiver and successfully transferred samples over MIDI (with synchronous ACKs it's pretty fast) from the EIII to my Mac and saved the files as WAV format.

Gratuitous screen shot below :-)

I haven't written a SDS transmitter to send WAVs to the EIII yet, but that shouldn't be too hard given how far I have come.

-Dave

screen shot of Max sample buffer window as sample transfer is in progress from EIII to Mac
KOTARE

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 05:22:14 AM »

Dave will it be possible to control CCs via MIDI and not by through the continuous MIDI controller parameters or mod wheel etc?
ddvdave

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 09:43:51 AM »

Hi Kotare,

I'm not sure I understand your question. There is no direct way to edit preset parameters on the EIII via sysex, only the front panel buttons and sliders.

If you are asking if the program can map a MIDI CC# to a direct parameter edit, then I don't think that could be done reliably.

If you wanted to edit, e.g. Fc and Q, you would have to move the cursor between these parameters on the EIII For each edit. I think this would be cumbersome as the app needs to start from a known state of the front panel (i.e. no module selected) "home" and then press the button sequence to get to the parameter to edit.

It is pretty sad that the Emax has such a better sysex implementation than the "flagship" EIII.

-Dave
smokie

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »

Dave any idea when you will have the remote app finished?.
Thanks for all the effort.
ddvdave

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »

Hi, thanks for your interest. I'm still working out some bugs, and figuring out how to display the custom LCD characters  (which is not a big issue). I found a Javascript LCD simulator, but it doesn't work with Max.

I hope to have something available to test in a few weeks.

-Dave
djscratchd

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »

Beautiful!!!! Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sleeper must awaken......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII remote

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines