E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - My new EIII Rack // detailed repair instruction

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:25:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  My new EIII Rack // detailed repair instruction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My new EIII Rack // detailed repair instruction  (Read 8022 times)
Freddy

« on: February 06, 2014, 08:15:23 AM »

Hi,

a few month ago I was the luckiest guy in world when I got an EIII Rack (8MB) + HD300.

Since my life changed a lot in the past months I did not have much time to deal with it. However I now started to inspect what I got and to my huge surprise it booted after correcting the voltage. Then I performed some easy upgrades, amongst others a blue oled, sliders and so on. I will start a new thread once it works again and report my experiences about the purchase and the repair as I almost faced every possible problem during the last days.

However I reached a point of pure frustration.

Whenever I wanted to load a sound it freezes. I also noticed that the EIII freezes when I recorded a sample. My intitial suspicion was that maybe there is something wrong about the RAM. Inspite of that the diagnostics mode said the memory is ok.

Nonetheless I thought, maybe there is a very little chance if I format the HD. At this point I should mention that the floppy drive is faulty. It doesn't work with a working replacement neither.
I was convinced that formatting wouldn't cause any problems. After 30mins it was completed, the I saved an empty bank and restarted it in order to see if everything worked.

Now it doesn't boot anymore (wtf?!) and spins through the SCSI channels without showing any special reaction.  Cry

Do you have any idea what causes this problem or what I should try?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:43:54 AM by Freddy » Logged
seamonkey
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »

Have you opened it up and tried reseating the boards and all ribbon connectors.
Is it possible the OS floppy you have has become corrupted?

Btw, congrats on such a great find.
Hope your situation has improved.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:56:28 PM by seamonkey » Logged
Freddy

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:12:24 AM »

YESSSS  Smiley

By chance I found out that my housemate has an old PC with a floppy disk drive. I created 8 booting disks of which only three worked. The original EIII booting disk is obviously at the end of its life.
Then it booted! I installed a slim floppy and it works. WHAT A SOUND! Though the card reader does not work yet I sampled a kick drum and I'm absolutely blown away how fat and punchy this sampler is! Never gonna sell it! Luckily all the voices and the stereo out work.

I will report if the cf card reader works.
(http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/974837/?insert=62&insertNoDeeplink&productname=IDE-to-CompactFlash-converter-with-assembly-frame)

Thanks and best regards
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:44:21 AM by Freddy » Logged
seamonkey
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 05:41:38 AM »

Great news Freddy, glad to hear you've had success.Smiley

I had a EIII and they're beautiful, and the filter is awesome.
They keyboard version is quite a sensitive little thing, and if you even look at it, something will go wrong.

Right now I'm quite happy with my EII+HD and Emax SE Plus.

Each of these samplers have their own unique sound, and I love them all.

Have fun. Grin
Freddy

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »

Everthing is fixed

1. I spotted an advert which was pure coincidence. No photo, no text, "preferably via western union as (he) doesn't like PayPal". I must have been insane to go any further. However I asked for a photo and to my surprise he sent one that seemed to be rather convincing and not copied from google as usual. Persuading him to send the EIII&HD300 to me took months as he thought I should simply buy this pile of old metal in Europe as he preferred local pick up. Obviously he wasn't aware what the EIII is as he sold it for 200$. He told me that he found it in a shed in the garden from the previous owner who left it there.
To cut a long story short - some dubious Western Union Payments and a couple of months later I finally received it.

2. When I first started it I got nothing but black boxes. Firstly I readjusted the PSU from 4.2V to 5.05V which caused the EIII to display the booting sequence neither booting from HD nor from floppy. Then I put it away for a couple of month in order not to distract myself from more important things and to read things up about this sampler, before putting my hands on it.

3. A couple of days ago I started to deal with it again. I installed a blue 20x4 OLED, a pair of new HQ fans (rather disappointing result..) and new sliders. Unfortunately I destroyed some of the solder pads of the sliders because the PCB is really old and low quality which is particularly bad on multilayer boards. Tracing these PADs with proper cabling took many hours since some traces are really hard to see. Holding it up to very bright light is helpful to see those traces.

4. Nonetheless it still wouldn't boot. In fact I just had to create a dozen of boot floppies with omniflop. I really advise you of formatting more than just one. Eventually mine did boot only from 2-3 of 8.
My next aim was to install a proper slim floppy/cf combo. The slim floppy mod was just as easy as on the Emax reffering to those instructions: http://djtbs1.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/jm215a-slim-floppy-adapter-modifications/

The CF card reader however was a real pain in the A*s. I decided to use an external version IDE CF card reader as I have most libraries and I'd like to swap the cards. I used it in conjunction with the standart ACARD 7720U.
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/974837/?insert=62&insertNoDeeplink&productname=IDE-zu-CompactFlash-Konverter-mit-Einbau-Rahmen
http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?main_page=down_for_maintenance

((By the way mechware is not dead: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72483))

Stupidly, I totally forgot about your experiences according to which the ACARD wouldn't boot from a newer firmware versions. The one I got from mechware had 3.90. As for the IDE CF card reader you should remove the jumper from DMA, but leave the one on RST. Soldering a LED to the LED pins can be helpful.
I have 40 different compact flash cards of different sizes and speeds but only one (32MB) worked on an interleave setting of 9. I knew that I was doing something wrong.
Then I found out about the firmware thing. Luckily I had another ACARD with firmware version 3.75 and with this one I was able to format really EVERY card I put into it. Don't abort the verification process - it won't boot if you do so. Also keep in mind that it usually only boots after 3 booting sequences.

5. Overpainting all these scratches wasn't particularly easy but I think I looks more than reasonable now. The front panels was horribly bent and it wasn't easy to bend it back into position, but brute force, a radiator and a rubber mallet did the job for me...

6. THE SOUND: What can I say about the sound?! Let me say it in this way; I own an Emax Plus and an Emax IITurbo for many years now and I thought they were pretty good, but the EIII is so much better. Unfortunately there's only a small number of demos online, but the EIII has so much power on basically everything, far more than I expected. I cannot imagine a fatter sounding sampler apart from rare and ultra expensive NES and CMIs... the Prophet strings that are so magical, the Moog and ARP basses are almost too fat. Actually I'm no fan of the 80s sounds this is why I personally prefer the EIII over the EII though the EII is gorgeous too..
I always thought that my Emax is capable of providing a fat and punchy sound if I want to, but comparing both now the Emax clearly looses (it has different qualities).

Don't hesitate to buy one even for much more than 2000$€... This one is a killer!

ADDENDUM:
As I have a working rack, I had a look at my EIII keyboard as I'm now able to swap parts. Cosmetically 10/10, technically 3/10

Black display, wouldn't boot..

#1 Adjusted the PSU and installed a broken HD. The EIII needs something at the end of the SCSI chain or you'll get black bars.
#2 It wouldn't boot, just spinning through the SCSI chain. At this point I have to mention that I found out that my firmware chips (V1.00) were either corrupted OR incompatible to the boot OS 2.42. I found this out by putting the firmware 1.00 chips into my rack which didn't boot then.
#3 The keyboard still wouldn't boot, the FD was continiously spinning when it was at ID0. I found out that both, the WD1772 (fd controller) and the 74LS240 were broken. Obviously the latter one is a kind of "interrupter" chip. Now I was able to boot.
#4 It just showed 4 MB although I knew 8MB were installed and registered on the Memory board. What I did was pure trial and error. I interchanged chip per chip on the CPU board and it turned out to be IC27 (PAL16L8ACN). Using the one from the rack gave me full 8MBs.
The good thing is, I spotted the issue. The bad thing is, that I don't find any kind of information about this chip neither in the service manual nor on the web as it has never been mentioned together with "e-mu". The next thing I'll have to do is to understand what a PAL is and how this specific chip works. Hopefully I will be able repair that. (FIXED!)

I hope this thread is a little inspiration to everyone whose EIII is still not working. If you have a question don't hesitate to ask.

* 20130521_132025.jpg (3866.02 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 751 times.)

* DSC_0185.JPG (2461.17 KB, 3008x2000 - viewed 770 times.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:43:22 AM by Freddy » Logged
Freddy

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 05:37:47 AM »

Unfortunately there was still a problem I finally resolved.

I knew the card cage + SCSI setup of the EIIIk worked, but there was no sound on the stereo outs although there was sound on the individual mono outs. I did perform the mod by Dr. C with the 5V wire, traced the relay but still nothing.

If you're facing the same issue; it was a broken NE5532N (IC1) on the analog jacks board, never heard of that before, but maybe worth to be documented here.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:45:15 AM by Freddy » Logged
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 05:58:58 AM »

Good to see that you were able to fix the problem. I've never come across that issue.

roginator

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »

where did you got new sliders for rack ?

and where to find info on Dr.C 5v wire mod?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:59:04 AM by roginator » Logged
Freddy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 08:06:16 AM »

The EIII rack sliders are easy-to-find standart sliders for like 50 cents. They also work for Emax's

Specs: 10kΩ, mono, linear, 45mm

I bought them here, but they have them everywhere. Just check your local (online) dealer/ebay/etc.
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/702053/Schiebe-Potentiometer-10-k-Mono-01-W-linear-F4505N-1-St/SHOP_AREA_17440

concerning the mod, check the search function/google, don't know, but it's NO solution, so I would rather try to eliminate the problem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - My new EIII Rack // detailed repair instruction

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines