E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Tried SATA to SCSI AztecMonster II with no luck

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:17:44 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Tried SATA to SCSI AztecMonster II with no luck
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tried SATA to SCSI AztecMonster II with no luck  (Read 3745 times)
ddvdave

« on: March 06, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »

Today I tried using the Stratos Technology AztecMonster II SCSI->SATA bridge with a 100GB SSD in it today.

As I expected, this failed miserably, with the EIII reporting SYSTEM ERROR after a few seconds with any Format Interleave setting.

I might try again with a 1GB SATA SSD (if I can find one that small) as I'm fairly sure the size is what's causing the system error.

My reasons for wanting SSD versus my (working) CF setup, is that CF is not intended to be used as a random access media like a hard drive. I am nervous about the longevity of CF when used as a hard drive replacement. SSD seems like it would last much longer, or one could even put SATA-based smaller spinning disks in their EIII if it worked.

Anyone else here concerned with the longevity of CF as a hard drive replacement?

-Dave
Freddy

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:05:58 AM »

Not really, I backed up everything on my pc. In case one cf card fails I use a new one. I once got a large number almost for free and any CF I ever tried smaller than 2 GB works with EIII, cf combo
smokie

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »

Dave,your concern for life expectancy of CF cards is warranted. They do have a finite number of writes before failure will occur but so does all media CF SSD MO HD.

I may be new to this EMU forum as the proud owner of a E 3 rack but I am not new to Photography. I have been shooting digital since 2000 and my first Cf card 32 meg Lexar  still works with over 120,000 shots.

If you use new high quality industrial grade cards which are readily available on ebay and make a clone image backup you should be good for many years. Remember reading from the CF as no effect on the lifespan.

In all honesty some part of the E3 will probably fail before the CF card!
P.S Thanks for your help with my E3. look forward to your E3 remote.  

Erik aka smokie
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Tried SATA to SCSI AztecMonster II with no luck

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines