E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII power cord

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:49:50 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  EII power cord
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: EII power cord  (Read 11471 times)
PX-7
« on: May 23, 2009, 09:45:27 PM »

I purchased an EII and it came with no power cord.  Does anyone know if Radio Shack stocks it?
As you know, it's the two hole female kind that's kinda square.  Reminds me of the one on my old ESQ-1.
I wonder if the SP-1200 cord will fit.  (sold that too)

rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM »

I believe a normal computer power cord i.e the kind that you use to power a computer will work.

at least that is what i use for my sp 12

image is from emulator archive

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
PX-7
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 09:08:28 AM »

mine actually has only a 2 prong male receptical.  The image you posted appears to have a 3 prong like a traditional computer cord.  This is why i'm having a hard time finding one.  I'm screwed.   It's square, skinny, and 2 prong.  It doesn't look like a mod at all.  Maybe some of them came like that.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:13:51 PM »

Are you sure its an E2, from E-Mu systems, not a Fisher&Price or Mattel stuff ?

Its an IEC connector.
You must have a three pin plug, the center one is the ground.
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »

mine actually has only a 2 prong male receptical.  The image you posted appears to have a 3 prong like a traditional computer cord.  This is why i'm having a hard time finding one.  I'm screwed.   It's square, skinny, and 2 prong.  It doesn't look like a mod at all.  Maybe some of them came like that.

can you take a pic of the back of your EII

I thought they all had 3 prong.

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »

Yep, I want to see a picture of its back, as well !
Two plugs in back is a usual stuff (unless its a male...) Cheesy

PX-7
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »

I appreciate your skepticism everyone, but what's fascinating to some people, is really starting to chap my hide.  I can't even power this thing on.    Cry

I tried radio shack, and home depot, and the guitar center.  No luck.   Home Depot sells the bare wire type of power cord with a black lead and white lead.  I could solder the ends to the unit in there, but that's hella ghetto.   I'm getting annoyed and blue-balled all at the same time.  I just want to fire this baby up.   No can do at this point. 

Boooooooo!

* my eII.jpg (58.51 KB, 966x296 - viewed 645 times.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 05:55:36 PM by PX-7 » Logged
PX-7
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 06:01:18 PM »

I also noticed that I don't have the red fuse holder.  Is that necessary to fire up?

Have I been flipped over dry with no lube so far on this one???  Embarrassed

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:02:55 PM by PX-7 » Logged
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »

I also noticed that I don't have the red fuse holder.  Is that necessary to fire up?

Have I been flipped over dry with no lube so far on this one???  Embarrassed

i believe you will have to get a 2 amp slo-blo fuse (can someone please confirm this tho, its just off the top of my head)  & you will have to buy  a fuse holder

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Archives/Samplers/E2Overview/E2Repairs/e2repairs.html

"The Emulator II uses a square black external fuse holder, with an internal red lid and fuse. These were made by Littelfuse and are:

Low Profile Snap Mount 15A 250V Part Number 348871"

does anyone else have another source for the fuse holder?

really confused about why ure eii has that power socket....

in the meantime why don't you clean all your pushbuttons , that way you don't have any triggering problems.

http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=102.15 <-- a guide on how to pop the buttons off and how to clean them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:21:52 PM by rokuez » Logged

PX-7
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 07:37:37 PM »

this thing seems like a real project.  I'll take it to Forat this week I guess.
Another trip to LA from San Diego.   Not a fun drive.

thanks for the info, btw.  I appreciate it.

PX-7
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 08:59:41 PM »

Can I just replace the power cord socket to the regular one like you guys have?
Any suggestions where to get one?

Which screws do I remove to get to the inside of my EII?

Does it matter which color I get?  It's all the same right.
I'm assuming Home Depot would have the fuse right?

http://www.littelfuse.com/part/348871.html

I was able to get the buttons off easily with a pearing knife.  Easy.
Thanks for the tip.

PX-7
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 09:02:21 PM »

I have a screw in the back that just spins and spins.  Annoying.

Where would one get new screws?  I thought I saw this posted, but
I thought I would ask again.

Doc, don't bust my balls on any of this.   Please be helpful.
Alot of us newbies look up to you...

PX-7
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »

ok, got the lid off.   Taking a look further into the power cord issue.  Not sure what the previous owner was doing, but it looked like a real jerry rig job.  Nothing that someone with a soldering iron couldn't fix quickly and the right parts.  There was one of those needle nose crimp jumpers leads for testing or electronic hobby projects on the fuse connector, and it terminated to the other silver post on the fuse housing.  And then then the thin green ground wire that was screws into the body of the EII in the inside, was cut.   Weird.  So I don't know what they were doing here...   

So what I am going to do is buy a new 3 prong socket and fuse holder like the Littlefuse or the other suggestion that's posted in this thread.

One step at a time I guess with this stuff.

PX-7
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 10:34:55 PM »

I guess I need something like this.

http://store.triodestore.com/iecmale.html

Is it just as easy as 1,2,3 and solder the 3 wires?
I can see where the positive and white one goes in my machine.
But the ground is a little confusing.  Does anyone have any pics
of how it look like?

thanks
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 12:45:01 PM »

Gee... do I have to be serious all the time ? Is this the ransom of glory due to my uncomparable genius ?

Okay...

First : WICH screw EXACTLY spins and spins ? (Notice that I didn't mention what you wrote, that you have a screw in the back that spins...)
THIS HAS TO BE FIXED BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE !
The reason : on the other side of the screw, there should be a nut, and maybe, a washer. Where are they ? Uh ? If this is the case and they are floating around, you must take them away before powering up the machine.
Murphy's law say that a screw will always be stucked in the worse place.

Second thing : you would have to replace that 2 pin connector for a 3 pin one. Find it in Radio-Shack, it will be perfect.

Before messing around, open the damn machine, and make us a picture of the inside, at the damn plug place, and I will make a nice diagram for you. There's a picture of an three plug original one (dusty).

The plug you need (this one has an integrated anti-transient filter)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII power cord

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines