E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - painting EII shell

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:20:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  painting EII shell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: painting EII shell  (Read 13394 times)
PX-7
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »

Has anyone done this?   Is there a particular paint code on the Pantone Chart
that the EII's shell is identified with?    I think some RAF paint would be awesome.

Do shells ever come up for sale too?

Any pics of any painted EII's??
Jim Stout

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 12:58:11 PM »

I bought this EII in LA for $100.00 it barely worked and was pretty trashed.

So is decided to turn it into a project and fix it up. I need to get back to work on it.

I painted it black, some don't like but I thought since it was trashed I might as well try something new.
PX-7
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:36:06 PM »

I like it.  You just need the emulator silk screening on the back. 
How did you do it?  did you use primer first?  what kind of paint.

Good job man. 
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:24:31 AM »

Do shells ever come up for sale too?

Yes, I once bought one off ebay.
It turned out that it was once played by Alan Wilder, which I found pretty cool.
Jim Stout

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:01:40 AM »

I took a pic of the Emulator Logo then loaded it into Photoshop. Got the design and had a stencil made of the logo.

I did a quick little sanding job and use a hi quality spray paint.  I can't remember which one.  Huh

I did a lot of coats over the day. It been holding up nicely so far!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:57:17 PM by Jim Stout » Logged
roisto

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 03:38:36 AM »

picture above gave me goosebumps, it looks awesome dirty sexy.. and you painted all that beautiness away?!?! what a shame.. never paint, modify, or anything other way fuck up your vintage synths original VINTAGE look!! it's a crime to do so  Cry

gotta give respect for saving her.. anyways..
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:46:24 AM by roisto » Logged
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 07:30:52 AM »

Sorry, but I think this is ugly.

Anyway, whent you paint something in black, you should mix the black paint with some red and blue, it renders a beautifull deep black, not that mate ugly black.
PX-7
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »

Kinda harsh.   And you guys thought I was bad.  Kiss

I want to paint my shell, but I really want to find a paint code
that matches the original. I thought about painting it some other
color, but i'm not stoked on that anymore.    Any suggestions to
match the exact color again?
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 01:14:44 PM »

I dig the black color. 

However I wish the front panel's blue could be painted black to match but that would be a ton of work

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »

Sorry, I didn't want to be rough... Embarrassed

You can still go with the power supply bracket wich seems to still have the original colour (according to the picture) to an art paint shop, they have Pantone probes, its made out of coloured pieces of strong paper rotating on an shaft, a bit like a fan, allowing you to compare the colour. Its gives you the Pantone reference wich is an international scale. If you go as well to a car paint shop, they may have it and tell you wich colour and maybe make the right mix for you.

Remember that the cover is made out of plastic wich me be attacked by the paint and may even melt.

You can as well take a picture from very close and measure the colour by Photoshop. Do not forget to align your camera to the local "white" before taking the picture, otherways, all the colours are going to be shifted in the spectrum.
PX-7
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »

Good point about the plastic, because I was thinking a powder coat place could do it, but they bake the paint on at some point of the process with an oven.   I still don't think the black looks bad, it just looks different than the original. 

Bruce Forat may be some help on this.  I've talked to him about painting my shell.   My back is perfect, and I really don't want to mess with the rear emulator graphic.  What a pain.  I was just going to leave the back the way it is, but that's why my cover has to be dead on perfect to match.

Anyways, you guys know more about this stuff than I do.  I'm still learning.

PX-7
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 06:04:33 PM »

here is the graphic if anyone needs it

* Emu_Systems__Inc__Emulator_II.psd (626.54 KB, 526x189 - viewed 1184 times.)
jrb1864

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 08:38:54 AM »

I LOVE the black, would have been cool if DM painted their's for the Celebration tour like that.

AWESOME!  I HAVE to get one, been searching for years but they are always way over-priced.  I have the MAC SE and Sound Designer universal, even have the cable from Emu Archive, just need an E-Mu II and I'm set.  Can't wait!!!!
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 10:27:03 AM »

I LOVE the black, would have been cool if DM painted their's for the Celebration tour like that.

AWESOME!  I HAVE to get one, been searching for years but they are always way over-priced.  I have the MAC SE and Sound Designer universal, even have the cable from Emu Archive, just need an E-Mu II and I'm set.  Can't wait!!!!

You need an EII that's capable for Mac communication. And you need "Sound designer for EII" (not universal, as far as I know)
midipuppies

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »

Super cool. I would love to do the same to my EII's. (Don't have the balls though...) Grin

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - painting EII shell

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines